Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-21-2004, 02:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to TN Tanks Send a message via Yahoo to TN Tanks
What Equipment to buy, SUMP questions, ect

Its me again, 135 Gal new tank fella in Tennessee. I need to know what equipment to buy to get my tank started.

I plan on building a SUMP for it, but dont know how many gallons to make it.

So what all do I need where, do I still need filters like fluval 404s for the water flow, I really have no clue, please tell me so I can continue research.

I plan on buying around 250 lbs LR from liverocks.com and enough LS to cover the bottem, so how much do I need?

James in TN

Old 01-21-2004, 02:30 AM   #2
cj10488

Quote:
do I still need filters like fluval 404s for the water flow
I would refrain form these.. If you have a sump you are going to need some sort of Overflow along with a Pump for inside the sump and some powerheads 4 maxi 1200s would be my choice .. My best suggestion is talk to Darin over at CaptiveReefs.com He is an Honest person and Easy to deal with.. He should be able to get you pretty well setup for equiptment..

Quote:
I plan on buying around 250 lbs LR from liverocks.com
Perfect amount.... You will be happy..
Quote:
enough LS to cover the bottem, so how much do I need
I would suggest getting some Southdown playsand from Home Depot or some sort of aragonite sand from the LFS and seeding it with maybe 10lbs of LS.. It will be much cheaper than 100% LS.. For sand you are going to want probably about atleast 100#s of aragonite and max 10-15#s of LS any more LS than that is pretty much wasted.. Any sand that you have in your tank is going to be LS in about a month.. Get 100#s of aragonite sand and go from there.. Depending on your looks and how much each hundred covers..

If you plan on having a Skimmer an AquaC Ev180 or EV240 would work awesome..

HTH<
James
Old 01-21-2004, 03:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to TN Tanks Send a message via Yahoo to TN Tanks
Are most SUMPS handmade with plexiglass, what size will I need for this setup? Also, any craftsmen looking to make some money here ? What exactly are the powerheads used for?

Tanks a lot .. heh heh heh
Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Your sump can be as simple as a rubbermaid tub from walmart or as complex as a multi chamber system made from acrylic with a built in skimmer and multiple chambers and baffles.

Powerheads are used to produce water movement. If you plumb your returns and size your pump properly the number of powerheads you need/want can be reduced. Since you in TN i would also look at our sponsor from TN.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=63

The size of the sump can be what ever you want or have space for. For the size of tank your talking about I would shoot for something in the 20-40 gal range.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

imo if ya have the room make the sump big enough to do your partial water changes without turning pumps off makes it alot easier
Old 01-22-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also consider an external drive pumps rather than submersable internal pumps for your water return from the sump up to the tank. These are easy enough to install, easier to maintain, add less heat to the systems water and generally much quiter.

And would just like to add to FishFreeks comment - best to get a properly sized return and for go the powerheads if at all possible (but this is just a personal preferrence.

You may also want to consider a nice 40W UV - these can cut down not only on free floating diseases but also on algae problems.

Tom

Tags
equipment, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com