what filtration do you recommend other than live rock and sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendans72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey , I'm wanting to start up a marine tank , and I'm after some advice , I've got a 120l tank , and I don't really want to drill it because I don't have anywer for a sump , what filtration do you recommend other than live rock and sand?

Perhaps look into an hob filter and hob skimmer. Do be sure to do a proper complete cycle no matter what. Best of luck

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's about 31 U.S. Gallons. A HOB filter will do you good. An Aqua Clear 110.
You could get a skimmer, but this is the cut-off for not needing one. You can grab a hydor slim skin nano or something like that as a skimmer. It's actually pretty decent, my neighbor has one and it works great.

That's about 31 U.S. Gallons. A HOB filter will do you good. An Aqua Clear 110.
You could get a skimmer, but this is the cut-off for not needing one. You can grab a hydor slim skin nano or something like that as a skimmer. It's actually pretty decent, my neighbor has one and it works great.

+1. Reef octopus also makes good hob skimmers, but not necessary on this size tank 5-10 gal wc's a week should keep you in check. The aqua clear filters are cheap and reliable and great to run media in.

I have a 90G not drilled and my setup: (1) Marineland 350, (2) HOT Magnums 250gph/w cruched coral USED as BIO filter, AquaC Remora Skimmer Mag 3 350 gph/w overflow

120G

Filters
2 Marinland 350gph or 400gph $100.00
1 AquaC Remora Skimmer with drain mag 5 500gph with overlflow box$300.00
Bio filter will be your live rock 90% base rock 10% live rock wih coraline algae.
3" sandbed

no sump needed!!

I have a 90G not drilled and my setup: (1) Marineland 350, (2) HOT Magnums 250gph/w cruched coral USED as BIO filter, AquaC Remora Skimmer Mag 3 350 gph/w overflow

120G

Filters
2 Marinland 350gph or 400gph $100.00
1 AquaC Remora Skimmer with drain mag 5 500gph with overlflow box$300.00
Bio filter will be your live rock 90% base rock 10% live rock wih coraline algae.
3" sandbed

no sump needed!!

Not a 120g tank a 120 litre. If doing a 120 gallon I'd definitely drill it but the 120l is fine with just a hob filter and hob skimmer if you want but it's not needed.

Sorry you said liters! Filter one with a UV
PF40-UV Power Filter (HOB) With UV Sterilization $60.00

Would no skimmer still allow me to keep some corals /anenomes? And what media should I run in the ac110?

Yes it will. However the types of coral/a nem you can keep depends on your lights. What are you using for lighting? In my ac I run chemi pure elite and that's it

I'm on the hunt for a good deal for a good lighting system at many recommendations? Trying to stay on a budget

And what would be the maximum stock on corals / anenomes and fish thanx guys yous are such a help sorry if I get abit annoying :)

What's your budget for lights specifically? For fish I'd say 4-5 small ones. Coral wise you can stock as many as you want. Just give them room so they don't sting and murder each other. A nem will decide where it wants to be and will take up a good portion of real estate. But nems shouldn't be added for around a year anyway.

I'm not really sure as much as I need to but I dot want to go crazy haha and awesome sounds good :) any fish ideas?

How long is the tank? Fish wise you could do a pair of occelaris or percula clowns, blennies, bassletts, gobies, go to liveaquaria they're good for looking up fish

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399928659.475981.jpg
Would something like this work? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399928690.518918.jpg
And it 22inch long 18 wide 22 high :)

Is that led strip blue? Without knowing how many watts each led is its hard to know. For growing corals you want at least 3w each led

Back
Top Bottom