Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What fish?

So assuming that all goes well and I can add fish in a few weeks that brings up the next question: What fish should I get?

Can anyone suggest some fish/invertabrates that are good for a rookie like myself? I'd like my fish to (obviously) live together without killing each other - with some variety in there as well. I'm looking for fish that are unique, colorful, relatively easy to maintain and can put up with my newb self. I saw a porcupine puffer fish in the local pet store that was pretty **** cool. Are these hard to keep? My girlfriend fell in love with it.

Right now in my tank I just have 2 damsels which can stay or go - doesn't matter to me.

My tank is 55 gal. so nothing too large.

I've been so busy reading about setting up and cycling my tank that I just now have time to research what kind of fish I'd like to get.

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm gonna let you get a few opinions before I jump in here, but other than the porc puffer, is there any other fish you like? IMO, your tank is borderline to small for that fish and it limits what else you can keep.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, like I said I'm not too sure what I want yet. I haven't had much time to look around until now. That just happens to be one fish that caught my eye. If it will severely limit what else I could get or if it would grow to be too large I would not buy it. I'm merely looking for suggestions as to what fish are on the easier side to keep and will make good members of my tank.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

OK, I'm going to the LFS today...maybe I'll get some inspiration

Off the top of my head I would recommend clownfish, most blennies and gobies, some triggers (for an aggressive type tank), basselets, yellow or purple tangs.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:45 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
dwarf angels, jawfish, a variety or two of the smaller eels, a dwarf lion.....
Old 05-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What helped us out alot is a book that was recommended by Reefrunner, it shows the different types of saltwater fish, their size, their habitat, behavior, feeding and disease and also how hardy they are. We are in the process of starting another tank and while that is cycling we've been trying to decide what fish also since this tank is a lot bigger than our other tank.

It's a bit overwhelming but this book has helped, also looking on different sites by tank size and seeing what others have put in their tanks have helped also. The book is called the Consientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner you can read more in the library here on AA here's the link http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok so I took some time this morning and did a little research. There is sooo much information out there on all of the different types of fish that it's a bit overwhelming. Good thing I have some time to sort it all out I guess. Now I'll preface this list of fish that caught my eye by saying that I understand that not all of them are compatible with one another and that they have different eating habits, etc. Obviously I'll have to add/subtract from this list as my tank cannot host all of these. It's just a starting point from which I'll decide later on. So here are some fish that I like...

Yellow, Purple Tangs
Dwarf Lion
Dwarf Angels
Mandarin Goby
Clownfish
Many Triggers are beautiful

Are there any puffers that can survive in my 55 gal? I noticed that most require a much larger tank.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I decided that it's best for now to stick w/ simple fish to care for. Some fish that I read are hardy and easy to care for that I find interesting are royal gramma basslets, clown goby, dwarf angels and clowns. I'll be sticking with these for the most part until I get better at this.

Now if only the tank would ever finish cycling.......

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:17 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Tomato clown, Coral Beauty, Purple Tang, Royal Gramma. That's what I'd go with. The dwarf lions are really cool and I want to set up a tank for one, but like most carnivores, they are messy. They can also deliver a pretty painful sting. The mandarin goby won't accept prepared food. They have to have a tank with lots of LR and a well matured (at least a year old) DSB. I don't think anyone has ever looked at a porc puffer and not wanted to take it home. Like the lion, they're messy and will get pretty large. The triggers are not considered reef safe. They will eat your clean up crew and some will even chew on the LR. Lawnmower and sailfin blennies are cool IMO...they're so hideously ugly that they're kinda cute.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com