what fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordviporscorpi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im am currently starting my 15 gallon high aquarium and have nothing yet. The ammonia is going to start dropping and soon i will put live rock. when i do i want to know what fish to put in. i know im limited to the amount of fish i can put in. I like the way blue tangs look and im thinking one of those and some damsels would look cool.

tell me is this a good combo or should i get something else.
if so what fish should i get.

thank you

I have seen the 15 gal high tanks. They are way to short for a tang. Tangs are very strong swimmers and can quickly outgrow a tank of that size. :( Keep your eye on smaller fish that get to a max size of 2-3".

Clowns, Chromis, watchman goby, firefish, jawfish, etc.

I left damsels off the list as they can be quite agressive and could really limit what you put in at a later date.

starting my 15 gallon high aquarium

I like the way blue tangs look and im thinking one of those and some damsels would look cool

I want to just remind everyone before they answer, this is a flame free forum and every one of us started this hobby without any knowledge of the requirements for the fish we keep.

That said.......tangs are strong swimming fish that require lots of room. IMO, minimum tank size for a blue tang (Paracanthurus hepatis) is 48" long. So it would not be good for the fish to put it in a 15g tank. Due to the surface area of the tank, you would be better off to consider it a 10g rather than 15g. For a suggestion, I would go with a pair of clowns, I'd stay away from sdamsels...they are meaner than snakes and very difficult to remove from a tank (without stripping it down) once you realize the "Don't play well with others". Another point, you should not add the fish until after the LR has been added and you are certain any die off on the rock has been taken care of. Put the LR in the tank and wait a week and test, if there is no measurable ammonia or nitrite, you can put in your first fish.

what about snails. i was told they will clean the tank or are required for some for of maintinance along with shimp or hermit crabs or something.

Back
Top Bottom