What fish would you put in a 20 g tall reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have a nano reef that we moved into a 20 g tall tank. We've got a couple shrimp and a crab in there, but we are looking to get a fish or two.
We've narrowed it down to:
firefish
ocellaris clown
six-line wrasse
gobies/maybe blenny

What kind of configurations could we do without overcrowding/compatibility issues?

Also, we have a lot of "hang on back" equipment (filters and skimmer) so a lid isn't much of an option. how can we rig something so that the fish won't jump? I heard wrasses and firefish jump...
I considered just buying some wire mesh from home depot to fit the top, but that's kind of ghetto lol

Purple firefish are beautiful, definitely recommend getting one (they are very docile though). Also a ocelleris clown or a black clown would look nice. A small goby like a neon blue goby or maybe even a watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair would be something! I think 3 fish is just right for a 20, wouldn't go over that. I have a lid that I made according to BRS instructions. It doesn't look cheesy at all, it's clear netting (1/4"), so it won't effect the light penetration. Egg crate works too.
DIY Aquarium Screen Tops - Bulk Reef Supply
DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply
Kind of expensive on BRS as a kit so I just bought most of it at Home Depot.

And can't help but notice your pic. Very creative...would have never thought to put a fish head on a chicken's body :lol:

Purple firefish are beautiful, definitely recommend getting one (they are very docile though). Also a ocelleris clown or a black clown would look nice. A small goby like a neon blue goby or maybe even a watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair would be something! I think 3 fish is just right for a 20, wouldn't go over that. I have a lid that I made according to BRS instructions. It doesn't look cheesy at all, it's clear netting (1/4"), so it won't effect the light penetration. Egg crate works too.
DIY Aquarium Screen Tops - Bulk Reef Supply
DIY Aquarium Screen Top Netting Kits - Bulk Reef Supply
Kind of expensive on BRS as a kit so I just bought most of it at Home Depot.

And can't help but notice your pic. Very creative...would have never thought to put a fish head on a chicken's body :lol:

hahaha i love that avi.
Anyway, my gf would LOVE your reply, that's pretty much what she wanted. I'm leaning more towards the wrasse (it eats amphipods and we have a ton, plus they're really cool lookin) and possibly cardinals?

That's cool though, maybe we could do a clown and a wrasse?
Will either of them harass sexy shrimp? We do have a few of those.

Thanks for the link on DIY lids, that was very helpful! (y)

Well, I've heard many stories of the six line wrasses (and most wrasses) pick on (and eat) hermit crabs, shrimp, and other inverts. Also I've heard they hide a lot and are really quick, but some are outgoing. Wouldn't recommend them unless you don't mind him eating your CUC :(. If you didn't get the wrasse I guess you would be able to get the sexy shrimp. You might lose him! The ones I've seen sold at my lfs are as small as my fingernail. Some fish my see it as a nice little treat...they are best for really small tanks, but you can risk it and try it out. And you're welcome! Would love to see pics when everything is set up! :D

I have had a sixline wrasse at some point in every SW tank I've ever had (except predator tank), including my current tank and never had one eat or pick on any member of my cuc. Also I never had one that picks on tankmates. Sometimes they will creep up on other fish and stare them down but I never had one chase or nip another fish. I highly recommend them as awesome fish to keep.

well, we only have 1 sexy shrimp and 1 peppermint.
I've read up on 6lines and everyone says they will kill/eat sexies... so maybe I just hold off on buying any more shrimp.
I don't really want him to eat the 1 I have, but I really want a fish that will eat all these amphipods in the reef (they're taking over... its ridiculous!)
I like the wrasses a lot, but yeah, from what I've researched they kinda seem like a gamble.
Clowns, firefish, cardinals, gobies, etc all seem very cool and social, but won't eat amphipods :(

janky said:
well, we only have 1 sexy shrimp and 1 peppermint.
I've read up on 6lines and everyone says they will kill/eat sexies... so maybe I just hold off on buying any more shrimp.
I don't really want him to eat the 1 I have, but I really want a fish that will eat all these amphipods in the reef (they're taking over... its ridiculous!)
I like the wrasses a lot, but yeah, from what I've researched they kinda seem like a gamble.
Clowns, firefish, cardinals, gobies, etc all seem very cool and social, but won't eat amphipods :(

Yeah a sexy shrimp might be food for a six line lol.

Just wondering, why do you want to get rid of your amphipods? They are a beneficial organism in your aquarium. They make up the ecosystem and shows signs of a healthy system.

Just wondering, why do you want to get rid of your amphipods? They are a beneficial organism in your aquarium. They make up the ecosystem and shows signs of a healthy system.

I dunno actually.. now that you ask.
I assumed that it was a bad thing due to how many of them there are. I mean, when we turn the lights on in the morning they literally scatter like cockroaches. It's insane how many of those little 'bugs' there are!

If they're beneficial, then I guess I don't really care that they're there. :) They just seemed like a nuisance or a pest.

We're leaning towards an ocellaris, six-line, and a smaller goby ... I like firefish too, but I think I like the wrasse more
I guess it's a bit of a gamble with the one sexy shrimp... maybe I'll wait on the wrasse. I don't really want the shrimp to become a meal.

Yeah they're a benevolent hitchhiker. If you want the wrasse then go for it! :) Add the clown and goby first (peaceful first, more aggressive last). It's just good to have the more docile, peaceful fish find their territories and get used to their environment.

Back
Top Bottom