Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-19-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to jaiden
What food for invert only tank? Adding fish later.

I've just put some hermits, astrea, nassarius, and an emerald mythrax (also at least 1 of some other snail) into my mostly bare tank. I've got a couple bits of "real" LR but mostly it's cycled dry hirocks.

There are some diatoms on the sand, hair algae on the "real" rocks, but mostly the tank is bare.

I'm getting ready to get a first fish, and put it in QT, but the tank is not going to be fed for a while, and I don't want my inverts to starve

what can I feed them to keep them around? I've seen sinking hermit food, so I'm thinking that's a good place to start. Would general sinking pellets be good?

I'm planning on eventually getting: clown, jawfish, blenny, royal gramma, maybe firefish or something

what can I buy that I can use for the fish too?

54g all-glass bowfront corner planted FW

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Good question. I fed my Anemone frozen squid the other day and the inverts started running around like crazy looking for pieces of it. No idea if squid is good for them or not, but they sure liked eating it.

*26 freshwater*
2x Sunburst Platys (2M, 2F) // 3x Neon Tetras (?) // 2x Cherry Barbs (1M, 1F) // 2x YoYo Loaches (?) // 1x Bushy Nose Pleco (M) // 1x Clown Pleco (?) //

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yes sinking pellets are very good . I put them in for my angel and my hermits race for the ones she misses. The emerald crab may eat them too.
The only problem you have are the snails, they need the algae. Hopefully there is enough in there to keep them happy.
quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My hermits like Krill, Algae wafers, Nori sheet on a clip, Mysid Shrimp, each other.. No worries on what they'll eat.
Corty is offline   Reply With Quote

food, invert, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com