What happened to my hermit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derdy88

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just had my tank set up for a week or so and cycled it with LR( cured) and crushed coral mixed with live sand and also cycled using stabillity.
ran some test and all seems good its like the tank has already cycled my tank has been going for 2 weeks now and all tests are still perfect. so i went and bought 10 hermit crabs to go in my 36 gallon tank with 30 pounds of live rock. and 4 inches of sand. so i have these smaller hermits that were only a buck a piece (6) some red legged hermits also small for 3 dollars each (2) and a blue legged her mit which was 10 dollars and he is roughtly twice the size on all the others (a little bigger than a quarter) thats in the shell.
so the other day i found a dead hemit out of his shell on one of my rocks. but this could have been molt due to the fact i couldnt find an empty shell. so i flushed his remains ( it was a small cheap hermit) and ever since then my big blue hermit totally disapeared no shell no nothing is it poissble he burried himself so he can molt under the sand ???
i read that hermits will burry themself in sand so they can shed their skin like a snake and can stay under for weeks. but im not sure they never specified if it was for land crabs or the ones you put in a salt water tank hope someone can help me here im not too sure what to think about it anymore thanks in advance.

Jeff

I know that land hermit crabs MOLT, We had some at my mothers house, And they did for sure. Not sure if water ones do too or now? Pretty interesting.

All hermits, shrimp, crabs molt. It is how they grow. Once they molt, they go and hide until their new shell hardens. Sometimes they don't hide so well and can get eaten. I would wait a few days and you will probably see him show back up. Make sure you have a bunch of bigger, empty shells in your tank, so they can move in.
I believe I responded to your other post about "stability".

I just noticed this is in the archive section. I'm going to move it to the SW getting started.

Back
Top Bottom