What/how many fish for my 55 gal. reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is the list of fish I want for my 55 gallon reef tank:

Ocelaris Clownfish (2)
Yellow Tang
Blue Tang (small)
Six Line Wrasse
Longnoce Hawkfish
Eel (cant decide which is best for a reef and wont eat inverts, help me out)
Flame Hawkfish
Spotted Cardinalfish (2)
Green Mandarin Dragonet (medium)

I know I cant get all of these for my reef tank but I am trying to narrow it down. Help me out, like what fish dont go with other fish ect... Thanks!

Well, the clowns should be fine.

Yellow Tang will most likely get too large to be housed in a 55.
Blue Tang, same as yellow tang.
Six Line Wrasse should be fine.
Hawkfish will eat inverts....shrimp, hermits, snails, etc. As will the eel.
Cardinalfish should also be fine.
Mandarin would be fine as long as you have alot, and i mean ALOT of LR and only after your tank has been well established.

Hope this helps
Good luck!

Ocelaris Clownfish (2) - no problem!
Yellow Tang - too big!
Blue Tang (small) - too big!
Six Line Wrasse - no problem
Longnoce Hawkfish - will eat inverts - but no problem for 55g
Eel (cant decide which is best for a reef and wont eat inverts, help me out) - will be fine if u keep it well fed..but dwarf morays are you best bet, but then again this will seriously limit your other livestock..
Flame Hawkfish - will eat inverts - but no problem for 55g
Spotted Cardinalfish (2) - no problem
Green Mandarin Dragonet (medium) - no problem provided you have plenty of LR and an established tank, please defer this dude..!

Given that I'd do..

2 O Clowns
1 Sixline Wrasse
2 Cardinals
1 Royal Gramma
2 Firefish
4-5 chromis..

Plus an assortment of
Snails, hermits, fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp..

They sell the Blue Tang in different sizes. I would get the medium (2-3 inches). Also the Yellow Tang at my LFS were full grown and were only 3 inches. I really, REALLY want a Madarin Dragonet! They are my #1 choice. But I will wait until I have a good system going on. Also, I dont think I am going to get any Chromis. I just dont like there looks. What other fish can take there place? I want colorful and unique. Not too small also! So the Hawkfish is out of the question if I want a cleaner crew? I hope it isnt cause those guys are really neat!

I'd easily wait a year or more before the mandarin..

They sell the Blue Tang in different sizes. I would get the medium (2-3 inches).

But they would get 10 inches long..

Yellow tangs are not 3 inches full grown..I have seen YT's 7-8 inches..

Hawkfish are out if you want shrimp..

You could try dwarf angels - flame or coral beauty, but they are a 50/50 chance of nipping corals..

Mandarins are very picky eaters and often starve in the home aquarium. We won't sell any at my store until we get them trained on frozen food and brine shrimp. Even then, we recommend at least a 75g with no less than 100lbs of LR. Their main diet consists of pods in the rock.

It is possible, but I'd hate to see you buy one and have it starve and you lose out on some money.

The clowns, 6 line, cardinals and mandarin (eventually)...and that's all I would recommend.

That is a modest bioload for a 55 and will give you some leeway with learning the hobby.

Skip those tangs unless you are just dying for some heartache.

LOL! Why are Tangs so bad? They sell them at my LFS (Yellow Tangs) and they were really neat. Also, if I get only 1 Cardinal, will I be able to add another fish? Like the Flame Angelfish or the Lemonpeel Angelfish? One last thing... is it better to have 2 Clownfish? Because if it is good to have 1, then I might only get one necause I really want a variety of colors and species.

Two tangs in a 55gal is not a good mix. I would not consider a regal for this size of tank. You may be able to squeeze a yellow in there but it is not really recommended. A three inch yellow tang is no where near full-grown. Look into the royal gramma, some blue/green chromis, perc clowns, reef-safe wrasses, gobies...I would be careful with the dwarf angels if you want a reef. They are not considered reef safe , some can keep them in a reef with no problems, other (like myself) have not found one that will not nip at corals. Its a crap shoot.

Ok, I see. But, I was on liveaquaria.com and made myself alist of fish I want to buy (in order):

- 2 Ocellaris Clownfish
- 1 Six Line Wrasse
- 1 Royal Gramma
- 1 Kaudern's Cardinal
- 1 Flame Angelfish
- 1 Yellow Tang
- Eventually a Green Mandarin Dragonet

Let me know if this list is OK. I am planning on buying each fish a month apart, and after I have 4 fish, it will be every 2 months. Thanks!

Well, I think that that is way overstocked for a 55. Also, on second thought...that 6 line and the mandarin will compete for the same food source (pods).

Well, should I not get a 6 Line then? I am not going to be able to get the mandarin for a long time, so that doesnt worry me too much. But I should take a fish out of my list, huh? Should it be the 6 line? Or what If I get only 1 Clown? How many do you think I should have max?

I would get:

- 2 Gold Stripe Maroon Clownfish or Black Percs
- 1 Royal Gramma
- 1-2 Kaudern's Cardinals
- 1 Yellow Tang

I'm glad you've pulled the Blue. They really need at least a 6' run of tank length to really feel at ease. Anything less than that, even as a baby, would stress them out and make them more prone to ich.

Back
Top Bottom