what I need to start a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is everythin I need to start and maintain a saltwater tank. 36 gal.

TIA
Mason

mabye some clowns some damsels nothing big. Right now I have a tank with some crushed coral and that is it. no filter nothing

Dont do live fish, do fishless cycle. Much better alternative IMO.

Heater, LS maybe, some sort of way to get water to flow (Im using HOB filter and MaxiJet powerhead), sand mis, test kit (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Hydrometer), and some LR at least one peice and maybe some lace rock with it (if your on budget).

Fluffy has been helping me start mine. Im acutally still cycling so Im no expert but that is what I have udnerstood to be the absolute neccasary items. Other stuff like a protien skimmer should be added later when funds are available.

I will do a fishless cycle. I mean I have a 300 gal tank with oscars and fronts. Just never done saltwater and want to try

From my experience as soon as you think you've got everything something else twice as expensive as the previous item comes along.

I am just making sure i get top of the line stuff.

Though, my temperature measuring digital thing broke when it fell off the wall into the tank over night :p

First thing I'd do is remove the crushed coral and replace it with aragonite sand, sugar grain sized. Crushed coral is a bit too coarse for some sand sifters, and it's a detris trap, meaning you'll have more nitrates then you'd want, to the point it could cause problems for corals.

What is everythin I need to start and maintain a saltwater tank. 36 gal.

A good book, and a little time to study IMO will be everything you need right now. Try Robert Fenner's. Good luck. Go slow.

I agree, do a sand bed instead. Much easier to maintain. And, the book Ray is referring to is the Conscientious Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner. It's a very good book, especially for the beginner. Then sit down and figure out what exactly it is you want out of this tank. Starting out with damsels and clowns is fine but is this what you want long term? Do you want to go reef or fish only? Plan ahead. Even if you don't have the money to do it all right now, take it slow and buy what you need in anticipation of the future. Lights are a huge consideration. They are expensive and you don't want to have to buy them twice. If you already have a tank, I would say the first things to replace the cc with sand, get some liverock (if you are going that route for filtration, I highly recommend it), and get a couple powerheads for water movement. NO lights are fine for fish only if that's your intention.

Back
Top Bottom