What id alkalinity level supposed to be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My lfs did a test on my water yesterday an told me it took 18 drops to get to yellow! They tested on a KH API test kit...I thought for a reef aquarium alkalinity was supposed to be 8-12 but they said 18 was low!
I don't have an alkalinity test kit but I'm guessing I should go get one soon! My corals are all doing great, not getting much, if any, algae on the glass ..can someone clear up me and my lfs' confusion!
Thanks in advance! :)

armyman16 said:
My lfs did a test on my water yesterday an told me it took 18 drops to get to yellow! They tested on a KH API test kit...I thought for a reef aquarium alkalinity was supposed to be 8-12 but they said 18 was low!
I don't have an alkalinity test kit but I'm guessing I should go get one soon! My corals are all doing great, not getting much, if any, algae on the glass ..can someone clear up me and my lfs' confusion!
Thanks in advance! :)

Whoever told you it was low does not know what they are talking about. Might have botched the test too so i would def pick up your own kit. 7-12 is usually the commonly accepted range.

You are way high. Bring it down slowly if that is infact the correct reading.

Definitely get your own Alk test kit. Not familiar with the API kit, but I can almost guarantee that 18 drops does not translate to an 18 Alk, probably more like a 9.

Flreefer said:
Definitely get your own Alk test kit. Not familiar with the API kit, but I can almost guarantee that 18 drops does not translate to an 18 Alk, probably more like a 9.

Actually it is 18. 1 drop per degree carbonate hardness.

Schism said:
Actually it is 18. 1 drop per degree carbonate hardness.

Wow, that's high!! Didn't think that was even possible. Wonder what the Ca level is?

Ca level is 460! pH 8.2, there's gotta be something wrong with the way they test or something wrong with the liquid! I've never heard of it being that high! My cauliflower colt coral hasn't extended yet today but I think I new to give it more flow

armyman16 said:
Ca level is 460! pH 8.2, there's gotta be something wrong with the way they test or something wrong with the liquid! I've never heard of it being that high! My cauliflower colt coral hasn't extended yet today but I think I new to give it more flow

Need* I meant instead of new

Something has to be wrong with the test kit! I had them test my 75 gallon and it was at 23 drops, pH 8.3, calcium at 460
And I got it mixed up! My 20 gallon took 18 drops and has pH 8.2 and calcium 400
The 75 gallon has the cauliflower colt that hasn't opened but I think it needs more flow

It really sucks relying on the LFS for your levels, get an Alk test kit!! Unless your really overdosing, there's no way it could be that high.

Yeah I haven't dosed in at least a week or two, with kent marine superbuffer-dKH and I did the recommended amount for both tanks 2 or 3 days ago

It is possible you overdosed but im highly betting on a bad test kit. API kits are notoriously inaccurate. 23 drops is absolutely off the charts and i cannot see it being that high at all. Look into getting a salifert alk test. Very accurate and reliable.

Smart move not accepting right away that 18 and 23 are not correct readings. Ph would most probably be much higher if it were.

Unless you have a tank full of corals that deplete your alkalinity I would stop messing with buffers. :-D

I barely have to dose for it in my 125g and that tank is full of corals, like everywhere. lol

I use salifert tests for my calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. I find them very accurate and much easier to read and use than the API ones. I know they cost a bit more but it's for sure worth it in my opinion.

I hope so! I don't know where to get a salifert test kit at

Do any of y'all have these kits? If you do, is there a certain range that the drops go to or does it just keep going on?

I don't think there is an upper limit for measuring alkalinity, but rest assured it is impossible for your alk to be 18 dKH or higher. That is way past the supersaturation point in saltwater and your tank would look like milk from the precipitation of calcium and carbonates. Once alkalinity reaches about 14 dKH the water becomes very unstable and starts to precipitate.

Haha yeah idk what's wrong with them! They said the highest it should be safely is 27! They said 23 drops is good! I didn't say the range should be 8-12 because I was only 95% sure

Back
Top Bottom