Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What id alkalinity level supposed to be?

My lfs did a test on my water yesterday an told me it took 18 drops to get to yellow! They tested on a KH API test kit...I thought for a reef aquarium alkalinity was supposed to be 8-12 but they said 18 was low!
I don't have an alkalinity test kit but I'm guessing I should go get one soon! My corals are all doing great, not getting much, if any, algae on the glass ..can someone clear up me and my lfs' confusion!
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16
My lfs did a test on my water yesterday an told me it took 18 drops to get to yellow! They tested on a KH API test kit...I thought for a reef aquarium alkalinity was supposed to be 8-12 but they said 18 was low!
I don't have an alkalinity test kit but I'm guessing I should go get one soon! My corals are all doing great, not getting much, if any, algae on the glass ..can someone clear up me and my lfs' confusion!
Thanks in advance!
Whoever told you it was low does not know what they are talking about. Might have botched the test too so i would def pick up your own kit. 7-12 is usually the commonly accepted range.

You are way high. Bring it down slowly if that is infact the correct reading.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Definitely get your own Alk test kit. Not familiar with the API kit, but I can almost guarantee that 18 drops does not translate to an 18 Alk, probably more like a 9.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Definitely get your own Alk test kit. Not familiar with the API kit, but I can almost guarantee that 18 drops does not translate to an 18 Alk, probably more like a 9.
Actually it is 18. 1 drop per degree carbonate hardness.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Actually it is 18. 1 drop per degree carbonate hardness.
Wow, that's high!! Didn't think that was even possible. Wonder what the Ca level is?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ca level is 460! pH 8.2, there's gotta be something wrong with the way they test or something wrong with the liquid! I've never heard of it being that high! My cauliflower colt coral hasn't extended yet today but I think I new to give it more flow
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16
Ca level is 460! pH 8.2, there's gotta be something wrong with the way they test or something wrong with the liquid! I've never heard of it being that high! My cauliflower colt coral hasn't extended yet today but I think I new to give it more flow
Need* I meant instead of new
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Something has to be wrong with the test kit! I had them test my 75 gallon and it was at 23 drops, pH 8.3, calcium at 460
And I got it mixed up! My 20 gallon took 18 drops and has pH 8.2 and calcium 400
The 75 gallon has the cauliflower colt that hasn't opened but I think it needs more flow
Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It really sucks relying on the LFS for your levels, get an Alk test kit!! Unless your really overdosing, there's no way it could be that high.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I haven't dosed in at least a week or two, with kent marine superbuffer-dKH and I did the recommended amount for both tanks 2 or 3 days ago

Tags
alkalinity, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com