Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
What id alkalinity level supposed to be?

My lfs did a test on my water yesterday an told me it took 18 drops to get to yellow! They tested on a KH API test kit...I thought for a reef aquarium alkalinity was supposed to be 8-12 but they said 18 was low!
I don't have an alkalinity test kit but I'm guessing I should go get one soon! My corals are all doing great, not getting much, if any, algae on the glass ..can someone clear up me and my lfs' confusion!
Thanks in advance!
__________________

__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16
My lfs did a test on my water yesterday an told me it took 18 drops to get to yellow! They tested on a KH API test kit...I thought for a reef aquarium alkalinity was supposed to be 8-12 but they said 18 was low!
I don't have an alkalinity test kit but I'm guessing I should go get one soon! My corals are all doing great, not getting much, if any, algae on the glass ..can someone clear up me and my lfs' confusion!
Thanks in advance!
Whoever told you it was low does not know what they are talking about. Might have botched the test too so i would def pick up your own kit. 7-12 is usually the commonly accepted range.

You are way high. Bring it down slowly if that is infact the correct reading.
__________________

__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Definitely get your own Alk test kit. Not familiar with the API kit, but I can almost guarantee that 18 drops does not translate to an 18 Alk, probably more like a 9.
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Schism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Definitely get your own Alk test kit. Not familiar with the API kit, but I can almost guarantee that 18 drops does not translate to an 18 Alk, probably more like a 9.
Actually it is 18. 1 drop per degree carbonate hardness.
__________________
29g Mixed Reef, 150w 14k Phoenix MH w/ Moonlights, Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer, Ecotech Vortech MP10es, ReefKeeper Lite (Plus), PH Probe, Temp Probe, ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactor.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Actually it is 18. 1 drop per degree carbonate hardness.
Wow, that's high!! Didn't think that was even possible. Wonder what the Ca level is?
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Ca level is 460! pH 8.2, there's gotta be something wrong with the way they test or something wrong with the liquid! I've never heard of it being that high! My cauliflower colt coral hasn't extended yet today but I think I new to give it more flow
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16
Ca level is 460! pH 8.2, there's gotta be something wrong with the way they test or something wrong with the liquid! I've never heard of it being that high! My cauliflower colt coral hasn't extended yet today but I think I new to give it more flow
Need* I meant instead of new
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Something has to be wrong with the test kit! I had them test my 75 gallon and it was at 23 drops, pH 8.3, calcium at 460
And I got it mixed up! My 20 gallon took 18 drops and has pH 8.2 and calcium 400
The 75 gallon has the cauliflower colt that hasn't opened but I think it needs more flow
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
It really sucks relying on the LFS for your levels, get an Alk test kit!! Unless your really overdosing, there's no way it could be that high.
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Yeah I haven't dosed in at least a week or two, with kent marine superbuffer-dKH and I did the recommended amount for both tanks 2 or 3 days ago
__________________

__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alkalinity, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.