Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2003, 11:28 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I prefer ebo jager heaters. A heater is 1 area where you should not skimp on cost.

Dead corals are simply the coral skeletons that many corals lay down. Many corals produce a calcified skeleton as they grow and this is what they live in/on. When the coral itself dies what is left is this calcified skeleton. The corals that build these are often refered to as "reef builders" because their skeletons are the foundation of the wild coral reef.

Many get them because they like the stark contrast of their bright white look in their tank. The problem is over just a few days/week they will start to turn green/brownish color as bacteria and algae start to grow on the surface. TO get them back to being bright white again you have to take them out and bleach them, rinse them and then let them airdry before putting them back in the tank.

This is alot of work and often the people just end up letting them go and they get covered in algaes of all types and begin to take on a more 'natural' look.

Really its your tank and its up to you how you want to decorate it.

If it was me I would just go with 30lbs of live rock a 4" sand bed and the lighting suggested above.

If/when you want to start with some easy corals you will be set for lower light corals with the light you have. If you want to be serious about an aneneome then you will at that time need to invest in a lighting upgrade.

Sarin, might I suggest you take a look thru our library of saltwater books. I find that having a few good saltwater books can be invaluable.

If you can only get 1 then i recommend the book by Ferner called "The conscientious Marine Aquarists".

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Michel
Could not have said it better myself ! Thank you master

Old 10-03-2003, 07:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to sarin Send a message via MSN to sarin
i'll hop over to my library this afternoon and see if they have any good books, actually, right now, i'm just typing up my resume to apply at my LFS for a job, as it's only a 5 minute walk from my school, i'll check out their selection while i'm there thanks so much for the help, i just have one more question, how powerful a heater would i need to use in a 30gal tank?

"To be yourself, see yourself
To see yourself, free yourself,
To free yourself,
Simply Be"- Jim Dodge's "Stone Junction"
sarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:33 AM   #14

also, i found some great looking synthetic anemones and corals at www.marinedeoptlive.com, though i'd probably call first to see if the anemones were actually lifelike first before buying..
do you think a true percula clown would go for a synthetic anemone?

To free yourself,
Old 10-03-2003, 09:38 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
true percula clown would go for a synthetic anemone?
Its hard to say. They will take to other types of corals sometimes. Some wont host in anything.

You dont need an anenome to have a clown. This is a common mispreception that many LFS's are glad to contiue to let live as most anenomes are placed in tanks with out proper lighting so they end up starving to death after 4-6months. Then the customer is back in to buy another and this trend goes on and on and on and on.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/library.php

I forgot to add the above link to my post above.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #16

i know they don't need one, but i've seen them with anemones and they seem so happy, so i was wondering if it would help, lol..
thanks for the reading lists! i'll be sure to look for them!

To free yourself,
Old 10-03-2003, 04:59 PM   #17

oh, by the way, fishfreek, you never really answered my question about protein skimmers, what do you think would be a good brand?

To free yourself,
Old 10-03-2003, 07:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

My choice is the Aqua C remora or remora pro
Old 10-03-2003, 07:26 PM   #19

thank you Michel! also, what size of one is good for a 30 gallon aquarium?

To free yourself,
Old 10-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Remora will do the job for a 30G however if you should maybe one day get a bigger tank ... go for the Remora Pro now !
You can find them on line at JL Aquatics in Vancouver or MOPS on line in Ontario
So Ontario is painted red now he !!! I was in To all day today !

Tags
30 gallon, fish only, setup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com