what is a good setup for a fish only 20-30g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i'm still shopping around, looking for tanks and the like, and i'd love an opinion.
i'm looking to own a fish only tank, with a few true perc clowns, some live rock, and sand, and i was wondering what type of lighting, filters, etc.. would be best.
also, how much does false or artificial coral go for(price wise)?

Its always suggested for beginners in the salt water arena to get the largest tank they can afford. So if your budget allows a 20 or 30 gal tank then get the 30. The reaon is that a larger volume of water will be more stable. More stable water volume means less problems with fish disease and better water quality.

If you can go for a 55 gal tank that would be even better.

For a FOWLR you probably want to shoot for semi moderite lighting. If you do a 30 gal tank I would say maybe a single 96W PC bulb over the tank. If you go with 1lb of lr per gal of tank capacity your rock and sand will be your main filter and a good skimmer will help.

THe price of artifical corals is hard to say since such items have different prices all thru the country and with you in Canada I would have even less of an idea.

thank you soooo much, i was kinda lost on the lighting thing as all the websites i've checked have different views, i would also like to add that i very much appreciate the articles on the site, i found them very informative and easy to understand.
i will probably go with the 30 gal, it's the highest i can afford on my budjet.
i'll probably shop around for artifical coral, but i didn't know if there were any trustworthy brand names or anything, as a few of my friends have had problems with inadequite false coral, the paint used to color them killed their fish.
but yes, thanks again so much for the advice.

if i might ask one more question, what do you find is the best, or most reliable brand of skimmer?

Hi fellow Canadian,
A quick suggestion: don't go with a lot of artificial stuff... or none if you can ! Better have few then false... Sometimes and I have seen it in our store dead coral is very expensive and it gets covered with coraline anyway so go with some live rocks and buil yourself a nice little reef !
As far as skimmer I like the AquaC Remora and it works very well for me !
You can buy it on line at www.jlaquatics.com in Canada
Good luck and ask if you need more help !

well, actually, i was only going to go with the artificial coral until i felt sure enough of myself and my tank to get live coral. one day, i'd love to own an anemone, but i reallly don't trust myself with that kind of high care responsibility yet, and i was probably going to get plasticlike coral,
Sometimes and I have seen it in our store dead coral is very expensive and it gets covered with coraline anyway so go with some live rocks and buil yourself a nice little reef
i'm not quite sure what you meant in this (above) is dead coral better then plastic or artificial?

No No live rock is not live coral ! I agree with you live corals require very special care !!!! Dead coral is what it is ... it is real but dead... so no care required.
Anemones are not corals they are inverts and yes they should be introduced in an well established aquarium but are not so difficult to care for !

okies, lol, i get it now.. anyways, i was also wondering on a brand of heater, what one seems most reliable(in your opinion)?

Get one that is totally submerged IMO they are better but it on only a couple of hours after it has been in the water so that it reaches water T otherwise they go bizarre !
Tomorrow I will be in Toronto !
www.mops.com and JLaquatics.com are good internet shopping places in Canada !
Pricing is good

I prefer ebo jager heaters. A heater is 1 area where you should not skimp on cost.

Dead corals are simply the coral skeletons that many corals lay down. Many corals produce a calcified skeleton as they grow and this is what they live in/on. When the coral itself dies what is left is this calcified skeleton. The corals that build these are often refered to as "reef builders" because their skeletons are the foundation of the wild coral reef.

Many get them because they like the stark contrast of their bright white look in their tank. The problem is over just a few days/week they will start to turn green/brownish color as bacteria and algae start to grow on the surface. TO get them back to being bright white again you have to take them out and bleach them, rinse them and then let them airdry before putting them back in the tank.

This is alot of work and often the people just end up letting them go and they get covered in algaes of all types and begin to take on a more 'natural' look.

Really its your tank and its up to you how you want to decorate it.

If it was me I would just go with 30lbs of live rock a 4" sand bed and the lighting suggested above.

If/when you want to start with some easy corals you will be set for lower light corals with the light you have. If you want to be serious about an aneneome then you will at that time need to invest in a lighting upgrade.

Sarin, might I suggest you take a look thru our library of saltwater books. I find that having a few good saltwater books can be invaluable.

If you can only get 1 then i recommend the book by Ferner called "The conscientious Marine Aquarists".

:) i'll hop over to my library this afternoon and see if they have any good books, actually, right now, i'm just typing up my resume to apply at my LFS for a job, as it's only a 5 minute walk from my school, i'll check out their selection while i'm there :) thanks so much for the help, i just have one more question, how powerful a heater would i need to use in a 30gal tank?

also, i found some great looking synthetic anemones and corals at www.marinedeoptlive.com, though i'd probably call first to see if the anemones were actually lifelike first before buying..
do you think a true percula clown would go for a synthetic anemone?

true percula clown would go for a synthetic anemone?

Its hard to say. They will take to other types of corals sometimes. Some wont host in anything.

You dont need an anenome to have a clown. This is a common mispreception that many LFS's are glad to contiue to let live as most anenomes are placed in tanks with out proper lighting so they end up starving to death after 4-6months. Then the customer is back in to buy another and this trend goes on and on and on and on.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/library.php

I forgot to add the above link to my post above.

i know they don't need one, but i've seen them with anemones and they seem so happy, so i was wondering if it would help, lol..
thanks for the reading lists! i'll be sure to look for them! :)

oh, by the way, fishfreek, you never really answered my question about protein skimmers, what do you think would be a good brand?

The Remora will do the job for a 30G however if you should maybe one day get a bigger tank ... go for the Remora Pro now !
You can find them on line at JL Aquatics in Vancouver or MOPS on line in Ontario
So Ontario is painted red now he !!! I was in To all day today !

Back
Top Bottom