What is a "reef ready" tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
What makes a "reef ready" tank different than a standard tank?

Im not a saltwater expert, but Id have to say plumbing. I think reef ready tanks are either drilled for, or include plumbing to add a sump, or they have an integral overflow built in to either one side or the corner of the tank.

There are already 2 holed drilled in the corner or middle back of the tank glass for a return and drain plumbing. Most "reef ready" termed tanks come with plumbing too... if not, you have to factor purchasing the plastic/plumbing into your tank costs. For instance, the oceanic "reef ready" tanks just come with two holes... but you can get their "reef ready" plumbing kits that include
1 The big black plastic overflow portion that sections off your tank water from your overflow.
2 The return pipe that is shaped like an upside down hook... this basically lets the water in the overflow chamber go down into your sump/fuge/filtration system below
3 All bulkheads that cover your pipes/tubing from the edges of the glass and make a tight seal at the holes
4 The return pipe with the bendable nozzle to shoot back into the tank.

If you dont wish or cant drill a tank, you will have to use the hang on back filters/overflow that basically sucks the stuff via cyphon up over the lip of the tank and it can cause spills while away if you lose cyphon and/or power. That's why people recommend getting it reef ready or having it drilled if it isn't and purchase the plumbing kits and make it like it came reef ready :) I will attach a few little pics that may explain all of this. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• megaflow_942.jpg
    megaflow_942.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 3,002
  • megaflow_pic_619.jpg
    megaflow_pic_619.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 5,473
by the way - the two little black things that the two pvc pipes connect into at the bottom of the first pic are what are called the "bulkheads". I looked back over my post and realized that it may have been cunfusing. Most standard 55-120? or so come with a 1" drain hole and a 3/4" return. Some of the larger tanks have multiple systems. The pic at the top is a completely configured corner setup and the bottom only shows the overflow itself in a middle configuration. For instance -some 200g may have 2 of the top pic in each corner. It looks overwhelming but that was the funnest part of my setup and was the easiest :)

Thanks that takes care of my question! So I am getting the feeling that Oceanic is the preferred brand around here?

Yes... but Oceanic recently purchased the brand All-Glass. You can see their designs at http://www.all-glass.com and most LFS and Petco/Petsmarts carry them. Their quality beforehand was nice but the glue work and polished edges were a little less clean than the Oceanics because it was hand laid. Since I have got my Oceanic and seeing the Oceanic influences on All-Glass brand.. their tanks are now Gorgeous! I so wish I would have waited had I known that their tanks would improve in quality over an already sturdy good buy. They now machine their glue and their edges are polished just as well as Oceanic. The price if still the same, is a little less... but they may be going up since they are both owned by the same company. Hope this helps!

Spencer

Actually, Oceanic has been a subsidiary of All-Glass for quite some time. This is a quote from Oceanic's web:

Oceanic has been a proud subsidiary of All Glass Aquarium since 1997. Based in Franklin, Wisconsin, All Glass is the world's largest glass aquarium manufacturer.

You will find this on their homepage:

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/history.html

Just to alleviate the confusion. :D

No picking intended. It had me confused for quite some time until I did the checking for my new 75. :D

Imagine the nerve of a freshie (FW) posting in the salties (SW) forum... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom