What is an RO/DI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy68

Aquarium Advice Regular
cashmoney6980 said:
I've got an RODI unit from there as well, and mine has worked great for me. They're the cheapest around too. Comes fully assembled and everything. All I had to connect we're just a few hoses and the rest was already done. Would recommend one of these for someone on a budget.

Here is a stupid question... What is an RODI and where would I get one?

You can get them from lots of places online! I got mine from purewaterclub.com. If you use RO water it helps with algae issues. RO/DI water is the closest thing to pure water you can get. I bought one that does 150 gallons per day. I actually hooked it to a water hose outside and put my water in a 30 gallon trash can and mix it. I tested the water and it tests better than the stuff I bought at the store! I've been happy with it so far.

nikki_kaiser said:
You can get them from lots of places online! I got mine from purewaterclub.com. If you use RO water it helps with algae issues. RO/DI water is the closest thing to pure water you can get. I bought one that does 150 gallons per day. I actually hooked it to a water hose outside and put my water in a 30 gallon trash can and mix it. I tested the water and it tests better than the stuff I bought at the store! I've been happy with it so far.

So is this like a portable unit? I have looked at a unit that hooks under the sink from where we buy our RO water but it is like $500 and it only does 5-10 gallons at a time. And it is only an RO unit. What is the cost like on one of these units?

It is a portable unit. You need to decide where you want to use it so you can get the right adapter for it. For example I didn't want to hook mine up to my sink because I have a dionized filter on it and that's not good for you to drink so I ordered the water hose adapter ($2.00) and works great! If you order one that's 150 gallons an hour divide by 24, that gives you 6.25 gallons an hour. I simply set mine up in the morning, check on it from time to time. I really like it!

You can get a small portable unit for as low as $60. They do not make water fast, however. Basic units are rated for 75 gallons per day which works out to about 5 gallons in about an hour.

I looked at other places for RODI units and they were moderate to expensive in price. In the long run it does save you money and time as using RODI water will help you keep phosphates down. Just for the sake of comparison, use a test kit and test the phosphate levels in your tap water. I think you will be surprised. Getting rid of algae is a real pain if you get it and takes time. This is not to say you won't get algae ever however it does help!

http://www.melevsreef.com/why_rodi.html

In addition, if you ever decided to add corals etc., you would need one.

Back
Top Bottom