Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
I keep my SG at 1.023, seems like an odd number but it has worked well for me. Never really considered bumping it any higher.

victor.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
actually my bad you were right I am at 0.5~1.0 I do seem to have an algae on my glass / some of my returns power heads just a bit not much though, I added three hermits and I do 10 percent h20 change religiously weekly. The locals here told me that 1 mg/L was acceptable threshold and suggested phosguard, however I don't like dosing my tank, I want to control things as natural as possible, the folks who told me this for what its worth also run a shop with quarantined dead animals in thier displays and have coral tanks over run with algea. Do you have any Ideas how to lower it further without dosing, I am open to any suggestions you may possibly have...
With phosphates, you really want no detectable amount. I've often heard 0.03 thrown around as a maximum for reef, but in reality - you don't want any. 1.0 mg/l is a HUGE amount. Unless you're growing algae for a living.

Main sources of phosphates would be from using tap water, overfeeding, or feeding poor quality food. If you're using tap water, I'd bet that's your issue.

Reducing the source is the best option, but using any of the GFO (granulated ferric oxide) phosphate removers according to directions won't harm your tank. Those are the brown/rust colored ones. The white phosphate removers are aluminum based, and have been reported to harm some soft corals. Plus their just not as effective, long term.

Oh... and to answer your first question - I'm between 1.025 and 1.026.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
When I started I was at 1.021 but now I like mine at 1.024.... Seem as if my fishes are more happier with it....

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote

gravity, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com