What is my optimal saltwater gravity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been toying around with what would be exactly the optimal salt water gravity for my particular system. I heard that coral like a sg around 1.024 - 1.025 ? although I have been maintaining my sg at around 1.022 most of my species of corral seem fine except this older star polyp that I guess has gone dormant in parts I am slowly trying to nurse this guy back to good health (any ideas?).. all my fish and shrimp seem to like it I have read this lower salinity is better for them.. does anyone think the salinity poses a problem?

Water conditions:

ph 8.0
amonia 0 mg/l
nitrogen > or = to .3 mg/l
phos 0.5 - 1 mg/l
calcium 450ppm (high?)

Specific Gravity can be maintained lower in fish only tanks. 1.020-1.027 is usually a safe bet. Stability is the main key here most inhabitants will adjust. If you have constant SG swings it can be stressfull. I maintain my SG around 1.026 with evaporation it probably hits 1.027 I have no issues other than Salt Creep all over my equipment. 1.024 is a safe# with a decent amount of evaporation it won't get too high

I have to agree that stability is a big key when it comes to stability. I like to keep in the 1.024-1.025 range. But keeping it stable in that range is much more important.

I used to keep mine at 1.020 and when I moved up to 1.024, my hitch hiker corals really started growing like crazy.

my alkalinity is around 11 dkh (seems OK)
or so and my phosphate is a typo its actually around 0.05 - 0.01 mg/L so I think thats good I also think I will bring my salinity up a touch with saltwater top offs 0.01 er so a week

Sounds good. What test kit are you using that measures phosphate that low? Usually you need a good, very expensive colorimeter to read down to 0.01. Even the Hach Pocket Colorimeter II only reads down to 0.02 and that runs $385.

actually my bad you were right I am at 0.5~1.0 I do seem to have an algae on my glass / some of my returns power heads just a bit not much though, I added three hermits and I do 10 percent h20 change religiously weekly. The locals here told me that 1 mg/L was acceptable threshold and suggested phosguard, however I don't like dosing my tank, I want to control things as natural as possible, the folks who told me this for what its worth also run a shop with quarantined dead animals in thier displays and have coral tanks over run with algea. Do you have any Ideas how to lower it further without dosing, I am open to any suggestions you may possibly have...

I keep my SG at 1.023, seems like an odd number but it has worked well for me. Never really considered bumping it any higher.

actually my bad you were right I am at 0.5~1.0 I do seem to have an algae on my glass / some of my returns power heads just a bit not much though, I added three hermits and I do 10 percent h20 change religiously weekly. The locals here told me that 1 mg/L was acceptable threshold and suggested phosguard, however I don't like dosing my tank, I want to control things as natural as possible, the folks who told me this for what its worth also run a shop with quarantined dead animals in thier displays and have coral tanks over run with algea. Do you have any Ideas how to lower it further without dosing, I am open to any suggestions you may possibly have...

With phosphates, you really want no detectable amount. I've often heard 0.03 thrown around as a maximum for reef, but in reality - you don't want any. 1.0 mg/l is a HUGE amount. Unless you're growing algae for a living.

Main sources of phosphates would be from using tap water, overfeeding, or feeding poor quality food. If you're using tap water, I'd bet that's your issue.

Reducing the source is the best option, but using any of the GFO (granulated ferric oxide) phosphate removers according to directions won't harm your tank. Those are the brown/rust colored ones. The white phosphate removers are aluminum based, and have been reported to harm some soft corals. Plus their just not as effective, long term.

Oh... and to answer your first question - I'm between 1.025 and 1.026.

When I started I was at 1.021 but now I like mine at 1.024.... Seem as if my fishes are more happier with it....

Back
Top Bottom