Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-14-2003, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is next?

Ok, I have a 75 gallon tank that is a fresh start. It cycled for one week with just the sand, pump and heater. Live rock in now for 2 weeks. Temp is 80 degrees, SG is 1.025, Ph is 8.3, no nitrate, no nitrite and very little ammonia. It will be a reef system eventually. Should I put some fish next or should I go with some shrimp? I plan on getting damselfish and cleaner shrimp for the tank. What do you guys think? Thanks!

ZekeMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 01:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
your better of imo to add clean up crew and inverts firest then fish !!

scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Re: What is next?

Originally Posted by ZekeMM
no nitrate, no nitrite and very little ammonia.
At this point you should not be considering any additions. As long as there is any trace of ammonia or nitrite, the tank has not properly cycled yet and still needs more time. I would hold off until the NH3 and NO2 are zero. At 3 weeks you still have a few more to go.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
You may want to do partial water changes still I do 10% weekly. Your s.g is a little high try to keep it at 1.023 dto do this just add more fresh water then the salt mix.You should have a little trace of nitrates also verry little trace. I would not bother with any shrimp at this time I would give it time let the algae grow a little before you do this. Wait at least one more week before any fish get introduced, spending all this time effort and money you dont want to get to excited and have to flush your fish. Good Luck!
46 Gal Bow Front
Prizm Skimmer
Eheim 2215 Cannister filter
2 402 powerheads
40 Lbs Live Rock
2 Clarkiis
6 Turbo Snails
2 R.L Hermits
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 11:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
the fish are really the last thing you'll want to add and add them VERY slowy giving at least a week or two between each fish. agreed that you should wait longer before even adding the clean up crew. patients is truely the key in keeping a healthy aquarium.
BBReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:03 AM   #6
1.025 SG in a reef tank is actually a good level and I would leave it be based on that temp. Water changes at this point will only prolong the ammoina issue as the cycling tank needs the nutrient in order to form a proper bacterial base. At three weeks, there is no rush. Just let it run, read as much as possible and be ready for when the tank is

Old 09-15-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Agreed with Steve-S

I would like to add that Ammonia is before Nitrite. If you have a trace of Ammonia, that means it is going to be converted to Nitrite and then to Nitrate.

With that being said, I believe that you are not yet ready as others stated to add anything to the tank.

Also, make sure that the test kits you are using are new and fresh. Take a sample to the LFS to have them test it for you, for comparison.

Even with the LR addition, the tank could still cycle for up to 5-6 weeks..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com