What is on my Tomini Tang????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slysally

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am a newbie to this community but I need some sick fish advice.

1. I purchased Tomini Tang about 3 days ago (tank raised)

2. He has since acclimated well with his fish-mates (Regal Pacific Blue Tang, Flame Angel, Banner Cardinal, PJ Cardinal, Diamond-Back Goby, Yellow Tang, two Clowns, Fire Shrimp, two Skunk Shrimp, two Emerald Crabs, Frog Spawn, and Star Corals) and there is no aggression among them.

3. He eats frozen Emerald Entree, frozen Brine, frozen Mysis, and he and his mates pick at the live rock. I have added some dried algae sheets but no one seemed interested in them.

4. I computer graph my water parameters just about every other day and they have been excellent. Here they are:
pH 8.2
Salinity 35
SPG 1.026
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
KH 13
Ca+ 480-500
Temp 78 night (no lights) 82 day (with lights)

5. I noticed a raised "linear" streak that is somewhat whitish on only one side of his body. It is not HLLE because it runs vertically and it has no signs of erosion. (I uploaded pictures, but the lighting is bluish and they are a bit blurry, he moves to fast for me to focus on.)

6. I ONLY saw "flashing" when he was first introduced to the tank and it was merely rubbing on the glass, I attributed that to stress. He no longer exhibits rubbing or flashing.

7. He appears to act normally, no hovering, no fast breathing, no floating near the top gasping for air,... you know he's just acting like fish act normally.

8. He was not QT'd and he has not been treated or medicated for anything so far.

9. System: 150 gal corner overflow with sump, protein skimmer, heater, Wet dry trickle bio filtration, carbon/mechanical filters as well. Display has live rock, live crushed coral.

10. I add Iodine, strontium, Mg, and Calcium as needed based on test values. All are within range.

SO, what is going on with my new tank member? Is this a physical injury from shipping/transplanting him in to his new home? Did he have a fight and I wasn't home to witness it? Is this an ACTUAL sickness/disease or parasite? HELP!

Attachments

• horizontal lump 2.JPG
    horizontal lump 2.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 146
  • horizontal lump.JPG
    horizontal lump.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
If the white band is similar to the one that Yellow tangs get at night, horizontal from head to tail, I would think that it is just stress related. Although it is strange to only have it on one side.
Water parameters look good, except your KH may be a little high, 8-12 is the norm. I run at a 10.5.
The only possible problem I see, is the 4 degree temp swing through the course of the day. Maybe try to set up a couple fans blowing across the water surface, only when the lights kick on. Either on the sump or the DT, it will help to curb that much of a temp swing. As far as I understand it, more than a 1 degree temp swing, in a 24 hour period, can cause stress.
Good luck with him, Tomini's are beautiful fish.

Thanks

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. You are right it's strange to have a vertical line running up and down one side of his body. And what is really odd is that it is raised, like a lump. This is what made me think it was a physical injury but I'm not sure. Let me know if you've ever heard of this before (hear of someone else mentioning it.).

My Yellow does get a vertical line sometimes as well as the lateral one too, but only when she's stressed out, and it does look somewhat raised. I think she's becoming more and more spooked by my reef lobster. They've been together for years, but as the lobster is getting bigger, I think the tang is starting to worry. Gonna have to remove the lobster soon.
As long as you can't see any abrasion or redness, I think it is just from the stress of a new tank. It should settle in for you in a few days. It doesn't sound like anything besides acclimation stress.
Best of luck with your tank!

I added PraziPro last night. I'm crossing my fingers that if it's fluke worms then one dose will kill them. So frustrating trying to play nurse in this situation... :banghead:

Any ideas how long that medicine takes before results are seen? Should I just dose again in 5 days?

Back
Top Bottom