What is the best hardy starfish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive seen the chocolate chip starfish alot at the store where I get my saltwater items..I know thats advailable. Is there another popular one to get? I like anything thats "HARDY"..even though Ive had a tank for 5yrs. I am still a beginer by all means....the over turn of different fish and things are low, these SW fish last quite awhile... Thankgod b/c this is an expensive hobby to start.
:n00b:
(Ive asked alot of questions the past few days thanx for bearing with me!)
I think I am just excited to start my second tank and I am debating on what to get etc...

I read that they (choc. chips) can sometimes be aggressive and problematic.

Hi from Durham !

JG

You wont be able to have one if you have corals. They will destroy a reef tank. But if you halve a FOWLR tank then you should be OK.

My tank is going to be a FOWLR tank, no corals just yet... I havent tried that yet. What prob.s could I expect with the choc. chip starfish? besides the coral thing??

The Chocolate Chip Starfish may eat corals, clams, sponges, anemones and ornamental invertebrates.

Other than what's been posted, depending on your livestock it may be succeptible to being picked on and definitely perform a 2-4hr acclimation with the latter being optimal.

I must agree with others. Chocolates are really neat but once they get started eating your inverts/corals there's no stopping them. Yep, they're hardy alright! I have a spiney serpent star that is great. He was really bashful at first but now I hand feed him chunks of frozen "people" shrimp. He loves it and does not bother anything in the tank.

The choc. chip would eat my snails, and crabs??? Also, I just read about the sand sifting star that one looks pretty interesting

Last edited:
The sand sifting star needs a larger and well established tank, otherwise it may starve.

I recently got a fromia milleporella (spelling may be wrong) Red Starfish its six-legged and so far so good. I don't know how hardy the little guy will be. I have read the average life span in an aquarium is only about a year or so. Hopefully mine will be happy long-term but only time will tell. its reef safe and doesn't get too large

It cruises around the tank fairly quickly

this guy wants me to buy a brittle star with the bubbles on its legs, he says their safe and all but i hear they eat your fish so should i stay away from it

Back
Top Bottom