Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2004, 03:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got the softcover from Amazon.com for under $30 delivered. Worth every penny.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good thread. Yesterday I ordered The Conscientious Marine Aquarist with some other stuff from www.marinedepot.com. I got overnight shipping on that order so it should arrive today and I can poke through it. The book was a bit pricey for a softcover, but I am sure it will pay for itself many times over. And it appears to have color pictures, fancy...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I picked these up last week..."The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, by Robert Fenner" (hardback) for 37 bucks delivered from amazon.com and Clownfishes (Paperback) by Joyce D. Wilkerson for $12.50 (delivered) from bookcloseouts.com I'd highly recommend either.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
For me, The Contientious Marine Aquarist takes the cake too.

Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson is excellent as well and has detailed profiles on the different kinds of clownfish, as well as anemone profiles and care advice. it also contains valuable information about culturing rotifers and other inverts for breeding. Softcover ranges from about $20-25.

For those interested in biotype aquariums, The Natural Reef Aquarium by John Tullock is a good refrence also, and has detailed chapters on each tropical marine ecosystem. Softcover ranges about $25-30.

Marine Fishes by Scott Michael is also a good "atlas" of almost every fish species, containing a page of compact, useful information on each of 500+ species of fish. its great for a quick refrence, especially when out shopping the LFS and you come across a fish you dont know much about. Soft cover its about $20.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is probally stupid to all of you experts, I read Saltwater Aquariums For Dummies. It had all the basics, from filters to fish profiles.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
if your a beginner, definitly check out your local library before you spend money on anything. my library has 2 very easy to understand basic marine aquaium books, and then you can spend your money on something more specialized once you understand the basics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com