What is the Best Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpikeyThC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,

I am fairly new to the saltwater aquarium scene. I have been in it for almost a year and i am now just at the point where i want to get going on a reef aquarium. (I have fish already and they are reef safe. Tank is fully cycled and i have not had 1 die off). Its a 45 Gallon Tall tank with 90 LBS of fuji live rock and approx 20lbs of live sand.

I am looking for a broad spectrium test kit that will test most (if not all) items i need to keep an eye on.

Currently i am using a 5 in 1 test strip and i am not really impressed with them. I dont feel they are 100% accurate and i want to make sure i am percise with the amount i will be spending on corals.

The 5-1 i am using tests Nitrates, Nitrites, Chlorine (which doesnt apply as i use R/O water), Alk & PH.

The issue is they are hard to read as some colours seem to look like others and they do not test Amonia and Calcium.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I am located in the Greater Toronto Area.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Spikey.

You're correct about the test strips, they are a waste of time and money, in other words, they are junk. Many prefer one test kit to another, so asking which test kit to get is about the same as asking which brand of salt to get, that's just my opinion though. From what I have seen, the API Reef Master and Saltwater Master Test Kits are most recommended around here, they are two seperate kits and are about $30 each. I use them myself and I'm very satisfied with them, just make sure you follow the instructions exactly to avoid any false results.

Thanks Thominil for the quick reply.

I will look at my local Big Als. Hopefully they have it. Unfortunatley there arent alot of good aquarium stores in Toronto so i am restricted to Big Als and a few smaller stores.

I prefer Salifert for Ca, Alk, Mg, and No3 (nitrate). The first 3 are titration tests with a very sharp color change in the test sample when you have reached the correct reading. Very easy to use for those that have problems with color matching. I now use the Hanna handheld Phosphate colorimeter for phosphates. I use a Pinpoint monitor for pH and a refractometer for SG.

If you are going reed you need all of those tests.

Some additional reading for you:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters (2004)

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine and

Refugiums

Thominil,

I found the reef master on their site but not the saltwater master.

What are the differances between the two?

Thanks.

ill look into that one to cmor1701d. As noted, my choices are limited based on stores in the area :(

Thanks for the info on the sharp colour change. Thats what i am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom