What is the best way to add dry Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to add 50 lbs of key largo rock to my 120 which will make the total amount of rock in the tank 150lbs. The question I have is what is the best way to add the rock with livestock in the tank?

i'm thinking you should cycle it first but that's just a guess since i'm totally new to sw.
Thanks FE, I think you meant cure, your right i should of put that in the post as well (CRS again). According to Marco Rock it is already cured but i planned on running it through the process anyway, It's not LR its dry rock and am not sure myself if there is any die off on it. it's my stupidity for not getting all of the rock at once:silly: but at the time I had that dreaded italian disease FUNZALO. I'm concerned about the livestock, and what to do with them when it's time to put the rock in.

If you cure the rock you will be fine. Marcorock tends to have lots of dead stuff on it, I see a lot of brittles in mine.

If you cure the rock you will be fine. Marcorock tends to have lots of dead stuff on it, I see a lot of brittles in mine.
Roka, do you think it will be OK to leave the livestock in the tank or should they be removed or will it be OK to leave them in the tank and just add the rock slowly?

Unless you've got a lionfish, eel or something along those lines that may not appreciate your hand in the tank, I'd leave them in the tank. Just be careful not to squish anyone. Are you planning on rearranging everything ; like putting the new base on the bottom? More risk there. If you are just going to strategically place the new stuff on and round the old it should be no biggie.

I haven't tried the new Marco 'pre-cured' stuff yet. My understanding was that they/he was moving in that direction because the new rock he was offering was from inland old sea locations and it needed a good cleaning/soaking. You may want to check with him, I think that his use of the word(s) pre-cured when it comes to his base rock is meant to mean 'free of organics, contaminants and hitchhikers' not bacteria laden.

Thanks FE, I think you meant cure, your right i should of put that in the post as well (CRS again). According to Marco Rock it is already cured but i planned on running it through the process anyway, It's not LR its dry rock and am not sure myself if there is any die off on it. it's my stupidity for not getting all of the rock at once:silly: but at the time I had that dreaded italian disease FUNZALO. I'm concerned about the livestock, and what to do with them when it's time to put the rock in.

Inferno, you make me laugh :eek: i love the "funzalo" italian disease. CLASSIC. Anywho, so is it safe to say that my tank was the inspiration for rearranging?? Are you going to use the new rock as base rock? If so then you'd obviously have to move everything around which I would be worried for the fish. What do you think? Although, you dont have too many fish so maybe if you move all the rock to one end of the tank and then rearrange the rock as you like it while keeping an eye on the fish shouldnt be too bad, right? I dont know, just offering ideas. :mrgreen:

Unless you've got a lionfish, eel or something along those lines that may not appreciate your hand in the tank, I'd leave them in the tank. Just be careful not to squish anyone. Are you planning on rearranging everything ; like putting the new base on the bottom? More risk there. If you are just going to strategically place the new stuff on and round the old it should be no biggie.

I haven't tried the new Marco 'pre-cured' stuff yet. My understanding was that they/he was moving in that direction because the new rock he was offering was from inland old sea locations and it needed a good cleaning/soaking. You may want to check with him, I think that his use of the word(s) pre-cured when it comes to his base rock is meant to mean 'free of organics, contaminants and hitchhikers' not bacteria laden.
Welcome back Captain, long time no hear:D. I have 50 lbs already in the tank and it really looks quite nice. Now that they have a sale, 99 bucks for 50 lbs $124 delivered so it comes in at about 2.50 a lb (I couldn't pass it up). I plan on running the rock through the curing process then re-arranging my rock work (Thanks to sharkbait's nice rock work). I just don't want my fish to flip out in the process. I will do it very slowly, i just have to locate the Nassarius snails i guess prior to the venture.

Welcome back Captain, long time no hear:D. I have 50 lbs already in the tank and it really looks quite nice. Now that they have a sale, 99 bucks for 50 lbs $124 delivered so it comes in at about 2.50 a lb (I couldn't pass it up). I plan on running the rock through the curing process then re-arranging my rock work (Thanks to sharkbait's nice rock work). I just don't want my fish to flip out in the process. I will do it very slowly, i just have to locate the Nassarius snails i guess prior to the venture.

yey!

:turn-l:

Thanx, I saw some of your recent posts and it looks like you're on your way to saltwater stardom. Like we said last time, make sure you get that rock securely on the bottom. The tank will be a stirred up mess for awhile after , watch for a mini cycle and after it settles take a baster and blow the rocks off.

My 2nd 90 is still sitting on the floor , waiting for me get to it. I go back and forth on the new Marco stuff. Can't get a str8 answer if it's dried rock from the ocean (recent) or dug up inland rock from a long ago dead sea. The latter bothers me to some extent but it's probably just those voices in my head talking to me again. Now I have a guinea pig.

I know u know this but 'base' doesn't mean you have to put it on the bottom (as I've seen implied in a few other posts). Base just means pre-live.

Inferno, you make me laugh :eek: i love the "funzalo" italian disease. CLASSIC. Anywho, so is it safe to say that my tank was the inspiration for rearranging?? Are you going to use the new rock as base rock? If so then you'd obviously have to move everything around which I would be worried for the fish. What do you think? Although, you dont have too many fish so maybe if you move all the rock to one end of the tank and then rearrange the rock as you like it while keeping an eye on the fish shouldnt be too bad, right? I dont know, just offering ideas. :mrgreen:
My wife was born in Italy and came to states with her family when she was 5, let me tell you the looks I get when use that one.:rolleyes: She doesn't care for the ronzoni one either.:D Yes you indeed inspired me, you did a very nice job with your rock work. To put in perspective for you put the number 2 (and still not done, and built my own canopy and lighting fixture) in front of the figure you spent and you'll fully get it. You know what's funny I had the cash set aside with the wifes approval and she got all stressed 1/2 way through but now that it's online she forgot what it cost and just enjoys the shear beauty of it, so bargain hunting was and is the name of the game except for the areas that are most vital.
Anyway thanks for the inspiration, when the creation is completed I'll post the photos. I should have the MH's online to so this is going to be interesting to see the tank with 716 watts of lighting on at the same time, i don't think i'll have to use my basement lights when I'm done.LOL

My wife was born in Italy and came to states with her family when she was 5, let me tell you the looks I get when use that one.:rolleyes: She doesn't care for the ronzoni one either.:D Yes you indeed inspired me, you did a very nice job with your rock work. To put in perspective for you put the number 2 (and still not done, and built my own canopy and lighting fixture) in front of the figure you spent and you'll fully get it. You know what's funny I had the cash set aside with the wifes approval and she got all stressed 1/2 way through but now that it's online she forgot what it cost and just enjoys the shear beauty of it, so bargain hunting was and is the name of the game except for the areas that are most vital.
Anyway thanks for the inspiration, when the creation is completed I'll post the photos. I should have the MH's online to so this is going to be interesting to see the tank with 716 watts of lighting on at the same time, i don't think i'll have to use my basement lights when I'm done.LOL

I love it, and tell the wife that I was born in Sicily and came over when I was five as well. I cant wait to see your tank though, now IM NOT going to behave :mrgreen:

...and btw, you are inspiring me to get a much bigger tank, lol!!

I love it, and tell the wife that I was born in Sicily and came over when I was five as well. I cant wait to see your tank though, now IM NOT going to behave :mrgreen:

...and btw, you are inspiring me to get a much bigger tank, lol!!
She is from Cefalu Sicily. You want them after the rock or as is now? I'll have to do it later the wife has the D70 and I have to meet her over at Bible camp where the boss is putting on a show, it's the last day of camp.

She is from Cefalu Sicily. You want them after the rock or as is now? I'll have to do it later the wife has the D70 and I have to meet her over at Bible camp where the boss is putting on a show, it's the last day of camp.

Oh yes the good 'ol days of bible camp. The boss makes me laugh and I dont even know her. Im from Messina, Sicily. Dont go nuts though about the pictures, take them when you finish putting in the rock unless you want to do before and afters, those would be cool!

Back
Top Bottom