Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the best way to add dry Rock?

I want to add 50 lbs of key largo rock to my 120 which will make the total amount of rock in the tank 150lbs. The question I have is what is the best way to add the rock with livestock in the tank?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm thinking you should cycle it first but that's just a guess since i'm totally new to sw.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
i'm thinking you should cycle it first but that's just a guess since i'm totally new to sw.
Thanks FE, I think you meant cure, your right i should of put that in the post as well (CRS again). According to Marco Rock it is already cured but i planned on running it through the process anyway, It's not LR its dry rock and am not sure myself if there is any die off on it. it's my stupidity for not getting all of the rock at once but at the time I had that dreaded italian disease FUNZALO. I'm concerned about the livestock, and what to do with them when it's time to put the rock in.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
If you cure the rock you will be fine. Marcorock tends to have lots of dead stuff on it, I see a lot of brittles in mine.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
If you cure the rock you will be fine. Marcorock tends to have lots of dead stuff on it, I see a lot of brittles in mine.
Roka, do you think it will be OK to leave the livestock in the tank or should they be removed or will it be OK to leave them in the tank and just add the rock slowly?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Thanx but no.....

Unless you've got a lionfish, eel or something along those lines that may not appreciate your hand in the tank, I'd leave them in the tank. Just be careful not to squish anyone. Are you planning on rearranging everything ; like putting the new base on the bottom? More risk there. If you are just going to strategically place the new stuff on and round the old it should be no biggie.

I haven't tried the new Marco 'pre-cured' stuff yet. My understanding was that they/he was moving in that direction because the new rock he was offering was from inland old sea locations and it needed a good cleaning/soaking. You may want to check with him, I think that his use of the word(s) pre-cured when it comes to his base rock is meant to mean 'free of organics, contaminants and hitchhikers' not bacteria laden.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
Thanks FE, I think you meant cure, your right i should of put that in the post as well (CRS again). According to Marco Rock it is already cured but i planned on running it through the process anyway, It's not LR its dry rock and am not sure myself if there is any die off on it. it's my stupidity for not getting all of the rock at once but at the time I had that dreaded italian disease FUNZALO. I'm concerned about the livestock, and what to do with them when it's time to put the rock in.

Inferno, you make me laugh i love the "funzalo" italian disease. CLASSIC. Anywho, so is it safe to say that my tank was the inspiration for rearranging?? Are you going to use the new rock as base rock? If so then you'd obviously have to move everything around which I would be worried for the fish. What do you think? Although, you dont have too many fish so maybe if you move all the rock to one end of the tank and then rearrange the rock as you like it while keeping an eye on the fish shouldnt be too bad, right? I dont know, just offering ideas.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Unless you've got a lionfish, eel or something along those lines that may not appreciate your hand in the tank, I'd leave them in the tank. Just be careful not to squish anyone. Are you planning on rearranging everything ; like putting the new base on the bottom? More risk there. If you are just going to strategically place the new stuff on and round the old it should be no biggie.

I haven't tried the new Marco 'pre-cured' stuff yet. My understanding was that they/he was moving in that direction because the new rock he was offering was from inland old sea locations and it needed a good cleaning/soaking. You may want to check with him, I think that his use of the word(s) pre-cured when it comes to his base rock is meant to mean 'free of organics, contaminants and hitchhikers' not bacteria laden.
Welcome back Captain, long time no hear. I have 50 lbs already in the tank and it really looks quite nice. Now that they have a sale, 99 bucks for 50 lbs $124 delivered so it comes in at about 2.50 a lb (I couldn't pass it up). I plan on running the rock through the curing process then re-arranging my rock work (Thanks to sharkbait's nice rock work). I just don't want my fish to flip out in the process. I will do it very slowly, i just have to locate the Nassarius snails i guess prior to the venture.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
Welcome back Captain, long time no hear. I have 50 lbs already in the tank and it really looks quite nice. Now that they have a sale, 99 bucks for 50 lbs $124 delivered so it comes in at about 2.50 a lb (I couldn't pass it up). I plan on running the rock through the curing process then re-arranging my rock work (Thanks to sharkbait's nice rock work). I just don't want my fish to flip out in the process. I will do it very slowly, i just have to locate the Nassarius snails i guess prior to the venture.

yey!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Thanx but no.....

Thanx, I saw some of your recent posts and it looks like you're on your way to saltwater stardom. Like we said last time, make sure you get that rock securely on the bottom. The tank will be a stirred up mess for awhile after , watch for a mini cycle and after it settles take a baster and blow the rocks off.

My 2nd 90 is still sitting on the floor , waiting for me get to it. I go back and forth on the new Marco stuff. Can't get a str8 answer if it's dried rock from the ocean (recent) or dug up inland rock from a long ago dead sea. The latter bothers me to some extent but it's probably just those voices in my head talking to me again. Now I have a guinea pig.

I know u know this but 'base' doesn't mean you have to put it on the bottom (as I've seen implied in a few other posts). Base just means pre-live.

Tags
dry, dry rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com