What is the difference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starbearninja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Between freshwater and salt water filters? Was looking online for a tank kit for starting a small nano saltwater that is reasonably priced and the all say they work for fresh and salt, is that true? Or would it be more cost effective to use a 5gal tank I have and buy the right stuff to convert it to salt?

Last edited:
Nothing, no difference.
Some (true salt pumps) run ceramic impellar pump shafts, while fresh water runs metal shafts. But for the most part, thats about it.
Oh, also, you don't need a filter on a saltwater tank. Especially if your goin with a 5g tank. Usually tanks less than 30g don't even need to run Skimmers, as doing normal 10% water changes weekly keeps the water params inline.

Nothing, no difference.
Some (true salt pumps) run ceramic impellar pump shafts, while fresh water runs metal shafts. But for the most part, thats about it.
Oh, also, you don't need a filter on a saltwater tank. Especially if your goin with a 5g tank. Usually tanks less than 30g don't even need to run Skimmers, as doing normal 10% water changes weekly keeps the water params inline.

How do you keep water moving? Would a filter be able to replace whatever keeps water moving normally for a small tank. I don't entirely understand what is required...I want to start with a nano to see if I'm going to be able to keep up with/not kill everything in a salt tank

Last edited:
If you are new to salt tanks I wouldn't go any less than a 20g IMO. Shoot for the biggest tank you can so it will be more stable and more forgiving.

I started with a 10g and even being diligent with water changes I still had swings and wasn't entirely sure what I was doing. I eventually had enough and bumped it to a 20g where it is now much more stable and healthy.

If you are up for it id highly recommend a sump. It's much more efficient and clean than an HOB. I'm currently running an HOB(sump in the works) and it gets dirty very fast.

With salty, a lot of pre planning can save you a lot of hassle.

Caleb

So it would be more cost effective to buy the tank sump and light then to buy a tank kit?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So it would be more cost effective to buy the tank sump and light then to buy a tank kit?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you watch online like Craigslist people but up full setups much cheaper than an initial startup cost.

I got a 20g rimless, sump and plumbing, powerhead, skimmer, return pump, and more for $160.

Watch for those good deals and you can save yourself a lot of money. :)

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom