What is the importance of RO/DI water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Newbie question, I know, but I really have no clue as to why it is so important? I know it takes metals and stuff out but I am so confused?

For me, it comes down to consistency. You can always use chemical water conditioners to take out chlorine and make ammonia harmless and bind up heavy metals, but you still have water that has a bunch of chemicals in them, and possibly nitrates and phosphates. Those things *may* cause problems down the road. Not saying they will... but there will always be that thing in the back of your mind if/when a problem comes up that is saying, "Gee... I wonder if this has anything to do with my tap water."

With RO/DI water, the water you're starting out with is pure. The only thing in the water after you mix it with your salt mix is what was in the salt mix. And it's that way every time you make up a batch of water.

Tap water varies from week to week, season to season. It is anything but consistent.

Ro\di is pure clean dependable water. If your making salt or fresh it is a fresh slate. Clean water is better than any additive. If you keep on the water changes you might not need anything.

If using it for freshwater be sure to add the proper conditioners or it will have a negative affect on the growth of your plants.

Tap water varies from week to week, season to season. It is anything but consistent.

I work for a water municipality so I do know Kurt is right. Things like nitrates and phosphates, Silicates and ammonia and other stuff are added to tap to purify water and make the trip to your house with no problems. Good for us humans but bad for our SW tank.

ok, thanks, I am going to pick up a unit on CL or my Local Reef Site.

I dont need one as big as that, plus I need one that hooks up to the sink faucet, (Rental Home)

Back
Top Bottom