What is the point in a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cunningham

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I've bin running my tank without a sump just have a aquaclear 110 trickle filter and a seaclone protein skimmer and a few power heads and everything seems to be ok but I've read about these sump things and I've checked pic out but I don't understand the point? Can someone explain to me the reason I should get one please and thanks

Dan

you dont need a sump but the xtra water volume helps with temp stabilty,water parameters,extra LR,DSB,to hide equipment,water changes,chemical treatment and a place to grow macro to remove nitrates.

+1- It's also an added benefit to grow pods and other small critter that your fish like to Munch on- It also help as stated above keeping most of your equipment out of the main display tank. I would also look into adding a refugium to your system... HTH...

David S said:
you dont need a sump but the xtra water volume helps with temp stabilty,water parameters,extra LR,DSB,to hide equipment,water changes,chemical treatment and a place to grow macro to remove nitrates.

U said extra LR, DSB. What r they?

Tank2379 said:
+1- It's also an added benefit to grow pods and other small critter that your fish like to Munch on- It also help as stated above keeping most of your equipment out of the main display tank. I would also look into adding a refugium to your system... HTH...

What do u mean a refugium and HTH?

LR = live rock
DSB = deep sand bed
refugium = section of sump where you promote algae growth and the likes to prevent it growing in your tank
HTH = hope that helps
Macro algae is a good algae which helps remove nitrates from your system eg. chaetomorpha

I got green slimy stuff growing on my substrate and it grows in some other spots and usually I have a orange spot sleeper goby in there to take care of it but he jumped out one night
But if I had a sump I could make that stuff grow only in there?

Ok Nevermind I did a google search on chaetomorpha And I've seen this stuff before but not in my tank so if I get a sump how do I get it to start growing?

Where Do I get the macro from? Is it something they would sell at a petstore?

most fish store's should sell it or ask here,their might be someone close to you thats willing to give you some,i would but its a bit too far to come!!

Back
Top Bottom