Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The CUC will have nothing to eat in a cycling or newly cycling aquarium..

Also, why would you subject any type of living creature, whether it be a snail or a $200 fish, to any water with nitrite in it? Nitrite is a toxic poison.. Just because an animal will survive in it doesn't mean they should have to.

Sorry, I'm a firm believer in 100% cycling before anything is added into the aquarium.

On another note, I would add fish first and a CUC when algae begins to grow in the aquarium. Remember that not all species of CUC/fish will eat the same kinds of algae.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrite is not very toxic in saltwater, so he is basically correct in that comment. I'm pretty sure CUC produce waste, so there is some addition to bioload. Minimal, but not zero. I see CUC as a want, not a need. I see no evil in having a CUC though. I see them as more of an interesting nuisance (at times).

I still have not heard a benefit to adding CUC before fish though. I'm assuming the OP meant into a properly cycled tank. I prefer adding fish first and CUC later. I'm not sure there is any benefit, just preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
The new CUC is there to clean up the new tank, of which usually comes with a bunch of unwanted algae that grew during the cycle.

I'm a newbie to saltwater and know that can be avoided completely by just keeping the lights off during cycling...

Caleb
Old 07-10-2015, 02:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ROLF. And what happens when you turn the lights on then? When you didnt' get a Diatom Bloom with the lights off?? Or a Algae Bloom during the cycle??
Old 07-10-2015, 02:07 AM   #15

Most of us seed our tank with live rock. We also enjoy the aesthetics behind coralline algae. It would make sense to have a photoperiod and possibly even watch mg, and calcium and alkalinity.... So so many times customers come in with 2-3month old aquarium and ask how to get the coralline to grow.

They do not have any corals yet but if they were dosing I bet you there'd be some coralline (as long as it was seeded in some way of course)

So I wouldn't go no lights. And that's more more reasons than just growing purple algae... Heard of diatoms?

I would not put the hermit in the aquarium with nitrite either, I was just saying you potentially could get away with it. While hyperbole, I was just saying the test before putting them in isn't too necessary unless your tank is brand spankin new haha.

Everyone has their prefers for their own reasons in this hobby. That's why its a hobby. And it's a very fun one to find your own way to do. I even like to add coral as quickly as I can. There's no reason not to. Unless you wana say the elements are going to be depleted quicker in the beginning because of massive coralline growth.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #16

So why do you think turning your light off during a cycle prevented algae exactly?
Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Diatoms will burn out in less than a week. Silicates don't last but about that long, the diatoms use em' up.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No, Diatoms don't burn out in less than a week! More like 2-3 months. Your killin me!
Old 07-10-2015, 02:37 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see it more as why run the light (and mine is quite powerful for my tank) if there is nothing in it? Where there is light, algae tries to grow.. If the tank is cycling Fishless then there's no reason to stare at an empty tank. No light= no algae growth

Caleb
Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefing Madness View Post
No, Diatoms don't burn out in less than a week! More like 2-3 months. Your killin me!
Dude, almost everyone I know never has had diatoms bad for more than a week or two. When I setup my 55 gallon freshwater 3 years ago I had diatoms for about 5 days. I know freshwater is different but I know that diatoms don't last that long. My neighbors reef had diatoms for about 2 weeks when he first set it up. Nothing after that.

Closed Thread

Tags
fish, invert, inverts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com