What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stuktothewall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
all right, so my tank is in the cycling process. when i did my water tests this morning about 11 am, the ammonia levels have dropped off and the nitrite levels are rising. I leave for work at noon and when i get home 10 hours later there is this brownish-yellowish what residue all over everything: the crushed coral sand, the LR, and even the artificial plants i have in there. so my question is....what is this? is it just algae?

Not really sure based on the description, but it's probably just an algal or bacterial bloom. The best advice I headed when I started my SW tank was to basically leave it alone. Nothing good happens fast. Give it time and keep testing. ;)

okay. it just seemed crazy how it just seemed to appear in such a short amount of time. i mean, everything was fine this morning and then everything looks like its been slightly burnt.

okay. it just seemed crazy how it just seemed to appear in such a short amount of time. i mean, everything was fine this morning and then everything looks like its been slightly burnt.

After about a week they started to appear in my tank. it got worse when the lights are on. Once the lights are off, it seems to go away.

Sounds like diatoms to me too. They thrive off of silicates and new lighting. They will burn themselves out in a few days to a week.

Back
Top Bottom