What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColBen112

Aquarium Advice Activist
So a couple of weeks ago i started getting a out break of red slime algea i treated it went away now i got a red algea again but this time it doesnt look the same should i treat or will it hurt i have a two rocks that have red algea and it seems to only be around them like the rock touching them are getting it take a look let me know thanks

Attachments

• DSC02534.jpg
    DSC02534.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC02533.jpg
    DSC02533.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC02535.jpg
    DSC02535.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 176
it looks like you have a mixture of cyano and diatoms there. how did you get rid of the cyano last time? use a chemical? if so, cyano is only a symptom of the bigger problem which is excessive nutrients. this must be corrected or it will continue coming back.
i would get on a regular water change schedule using good source water (R.O.D.I.), and possibly cut back on feeding.
what size tank is this? what is your bio load like?

its a 46 gal bow yeah last time i used chemiclean red slime remover. what do you mean bio load?
should i retreat and do water changes every day until it goes away or should i take the rocks out and scrub them off i did take out the top right rock that is covered in it and put it in my QT also i belive i over feed i think that is my biggest problem cause my fish look hungry so i feed them should i just set up a set time three times a day to feed them

I'd do both. If you choose to scrub them.. have 2 buckets.. one to scrub in , one to rinse. That way the spores/etc get rinsed off. Nothing like scrubbing your rock so it's all micro/squished up and then putting all that gunk back in the tank thanks to the floaters.

3 times a day!... Try 3 times a WEEK.....

They're playin you for a sucka.... sucka

Alright will do what about the algea on the sand should i just leave it let the treatment get it or take it out and rinse it

scoop up what you can w/ a net. stay away from algae-away products.. Better to change your habits than get change back from a 50

should i just get rid of it after i scoop it up or rinse it off then put it back in also when u say i would get on a regular water change schedule using good source water (R.O.D.I.) what is R.O.D.I

by "bio load" i mean how many and what fish are you keeping in there?
i agree that 3 times a day is way too much food. this is most likely the cause of your nutrient issue/cyano. i would not remove the rocks from the tank. it's not going to do much. you need to remove the nutrient rich water with water changes.

O for bio load i got a coperband butterfly 5 blue/green chromis a bangaii cardinal 2 true perculas 2 high fin gobbies coral beatuy and a long nose hawk fish then cuc hermits and snails

that sounds like a lot of fish for that size tank. it's going to be a challenge keeping it healthy. definitely watch your feeding. every other day is fine. i feed the tank i maintain at the local gym only 2 times a week, and the fish appear fat.

yeah im gonna get rid of a couple chromis and then call it good i think im gonna start gettin more corals now im gonna try feeding them every other day now how much should i feed them

Back
Top Bottom