What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryB

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have tried chemiclean and it has done nothing. The directions say the water should turn yellow and it doesn't even do that.

It's brown and it's freakin everywhere. It's getting worse and worse.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393707338.480173.jpg

Hard to tell from that picture but I would guess one of 3 things, hair algae , cyano or diatoms. How long has the tank been running and what are your params?

It's been up for a year and a half everything is testing perfect. Always been.

I'm getting real sick of this ugly tank. Need help.

Oh that's green hair algae for sure. The reason your not testing any nitrate or phosphate is the algae is feeding off it. Proceed as if the levels were off the charts( chemical media and lots of wc's) Try to pull as much of it out manually as you can. I've always had good experience with rowa phos for phosphate media, a bag of CPE wouldn't hurt either

I don't have a reactor so I am limited to the chemicals I can use.

Bryopsis. Try using Kent Tech-M and raising your mag to about 1600-1700 (slowly).

Mr_x what makes you think this? I've never had bryopsis ( atleast that I know of :) ) and would love to know the difference

Now that you say that a few months back I ran a hob with rowa plus in it and the pic above is the result but I can always throw it back on.

Mr_x what makes you think this? I've never had bryopsis ( atleast that I know of :) ) and would love to know the difference
That's exactly what it is, and the Kent product will kill it off. Bryopsis is a broad term that covers many types of hair-like algae.

Back
Top Bottom