What is this and what can I do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
There are some pics.

So I went and dug out the UV sterilizer thing I was given. At least that is what I was told it was.

It is a filter container with nothing in it and the shown in the pic, light fixture on top. See the pics.

The side of the unit says EcoSystemsAquarium.com 18" wide
the top light hood says Top Aquarium Series 11.25" long
the bulb says 13W 6700K 5.5" of bulb, + ~2" bulb base

There are 4 divisions inside the thing, from looking at it left to right is a 3 inch wide space, then one about 11", next one is about an inch wide, then two inches. there is the thing behind the 1st section which looks like it holds something. Even though I guess it goes into the tank not sure about how and what to hook up there.

I am sure every one here knows about what this is. A filter? anyone have an actual name for this thing? How can I use it?

The light does not work and I am not sure if it is the inline rotary switch or the bulb. I will check this out with a new bulb and or switch if needed.

The price for these is CRAZY, but I am sure they come with all the internal stuff and media. But hundreds of dollars...really?

So is this a great thing to have and use?

And if so how and with what, lol I feel dumb as a rock. Like a fish out of water,

60074-albums13960-picture67152.jpg

Little holder looking thing on the back/ note: after looking at it again I see that is the part that goes in the tank, there is a lip on the back of the thing to allow it to hang on the back. I am learning :rolleyes:
60074-albums13960-picture67153.jpg

Light hood can't find anything on this Name/brand...
60074-albums13960-picture67154.jpg

Light bulb /underside of little hood
60074-albums13960-picture67155.jpg

This is a 15G column tank used right now, and the filter thing is too wide for it column tank is 13.5" and the filter thing is 18" wide.

60074-albums13960-picture66839.jpg

If I were using it on a different tank I am thinking of making SW, ~30" wide then would this be able to be used, and in the mean time if I can get the light part to work, can that be used elsewhere on the tank, like over the present AC HOB filter on the column tank for Chaeto? Which bulb do I need if it is on the filter and which if it is really a UV or if it is on the tank to supplement the lighting?

That is a hob refugium. Not a uv filter. The lights are not uv, nor would you want them to be. To light chaeto in there I would aim for a warm color bulb, even around 2700K.
I'm in the sun, on my phone and the pics are a bit hard to see, but there should be a pump to bring water from the tank into the 'fuge. Then it spills out the end with 2 divisions (bubble trap) back into the tank.
It looks like it may have had a skimmer in the first section. That is simply a cup thing with an upside down funnel in the middle.
I love mine for a tank that can't have a proper sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ingy's right thats a HOB fuge. The black sits in the tank theres a J tube that goes into the black box (weir) That feeds water into the fuge (Area on the far left) then theres a small pump that sits in the far right chamber this feeds water into the tank. The light is a CFL prob. 15 watts. Is it a good thing to have and use? You bet!

Maybe all that was the easy part...

Ingy's right thats a HOB fuge. The black sits in the tank theres a J tube that goes into the black box (weir) That feeds water into the fuge (Area on the far left) then theres a small pump that sits in the far right chamber this feeds water into the tank. The light is a CFL prob. 15 watts. Is it a good thing to have and use? You bet!

So thank you.

The next part of this is now that I know what it is, I am still murky on how to use it to function for me. Apologies in advance, only know about a regular FW style HOB filter.

You mentioned the slots and kinda what goes in there. There are no other pieces, or pumps, etc. that came with it but I did find a broken HOB filter and it has a lovely J tube which appears could be a good size for it, the most of the straight part is appx. 10" long, then the curve and then appx. 2.5", it has a place cover/screen on the intake part.

But, what sort of pump to go into it, and how can I know I will get the correct amount of water back out before flooding my floor. Is there a pump in AND out or just out?

Did I understand that the pump on the right, and does that mean "right" as I would be looking at it if it were sitting on the tank "right"?, and just to be clear right would be the side with the little black box aka weir?

Then how do I get the water to suction and what to hold the J tube in place?

If it were all there, It might be easier to conceptualize the process.

The web site for it just shows a far away pic of the thing and I guess if you were buying a 2-400 dollar thing you would know what it is and how to use it. AND it would have instructions.

It was given to me by a gut who had received it as part of some stuff he bought on CL when he upgraded but didn't need it and he told me it was a UV sterilizer. So yes, that was not a UV bulb, so that is what really puzzled me. :confused:

So guess my $10 purchase of a iron fish tank stand plus free mystery item was a good deal, especially since I sold the stand and now have a free HOB fuge....thingy lol

Appreciate the help!

In the 1st pic. The left chamber is where the J tube goes. Water feeds from this area into the center chamber This is where you'll put any moss you want to grow. On the far right are two smaller chambers the 1st is a bubble trap the second is the return area. this is where the pump goes. I'll try to find some vids to help

Back
Top Bottom