What is this brown stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulr

Aquarium Advice Activist
This stuff on the sand just showed up. Found it in a couple places. Its some brown material. Not changing any chemistry in the tank but is it algae? Attached pic.

Attachments

• image-193216599.jpg
    image-193216599.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 97
paulr said:
This stuff on the sand just showed up. Found it in a couple places. Its some brown material. Not changing any chemistry in the tank but is it algae? Attached pic.

Looks like diatoms. I just had a diatom bloom in my tank, mostly on my base rock though

If it's diatoms it should go away on it's own but a clean up crew will help get rid of it. It doesn't look like you have a bad bloom though.

I got 3 snails and 3 crabs about 4 days ago. They maybe have not got to it yet. Can i syphon it out? I am doing a water change next week.

Siphoning may help but RO water, time and careful feeding will be your friends for this algae. Every tank goes through a diatom bloom but it goes away on it's own after it consumes the silicates. You needn't worry. It's totally normal. It will probably get a little worse before it goes away but it will go away (unless you're using tap water in the tank).

I have just 2 fish and feed maybe a 1/4-1/3 of a shrimp cube every other day s i dont think i am overfeeding. I did use tap water to fill the tank up but did use a de chlorinator at the suggestion of my local shop. I was thinking of getting distilled water when i do my change but not sure if that chemical is really ok?

You should look somewhere to buy RO water. Nearly all fish stores sell it as do large grocery stores. Most people buy a couple of 5 gallon buckets only for aquarium use. You can also get nice 6 gallon water jugs from Academy Sports. That's what I've always used. Tap water will cause all kinds of problems in a saltwater tank.

If you have some money to spend it's always best to get a little RO filter to use at your house.

Back
Top Bottom