Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is this growing on my sand?

What is this stuff growing on my sand and what is it.

Ok just to let u know the tank set up. 28 gallon cube. 500 GPH korolia pump for curculation and both filts that came with the tank running. So i have really good flow.
I did buy that green plant for a refugium but i have it in a breeding container on the top of the tank right now until i get the LED refugium to stick n the back.

Ok. I just set up a New tank about 3 weeks ago. I know im cycling right now. I have a refugium set up i did on my own on it right now. I had a funeral in NY and had to leave my house for about a week. When i came back i got all this algea grown every where. Brown, purple/redish and looks like plants growing out my sand.

I Sturred up the sand very little right on top of the sand to see if i can get teh stuff up in the water but this stuff is like attached to the sand and wont lossen off of it. Also it look slike small plants or something in my sand. How can i get my tank sand looking DECENT again???

One MORE Question. As u can see i have my little Ghetto refujium on the top left part of my tank. Someone told me i need to put sand in there also? is this true. Can i just scoop some sand from the bottom of my tank and put it in there. Is this nessasary?

jjprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Flake
they're diatoms.

A common algae in new tanks. They'll burn themselves out soon enough.

Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

thats diatoms. evenually the organisms living on your rock will spread to the sand and they will consum the diatoms. a good CUC will also help eat them and help control it
Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com