what is water flucuation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you please explain a little further, not understanding what you are trying to ask? Ich, Cryptocaryon, is a parasite that requires a host.

As I said, ich is a parasite and required a host to survive. Water temperatures and velocity do not cause ich, but increased temperatures can cause an increase in their production cycles.

Do you have ich or just worried about your fish? The cause is a parasite, nothing more. Sometimes the immune system in fish can be hampered making them more susceptible to various diseases and parasites, but all parasites come from an infected source (usually another fish sharing the same water supply).

Search the forums for how to Quarantine your animals, this is your best bet in fighting any disease. Hyposalinity is your best bet in fighting ich other than specific chemicals.

It has to be introduced somehow, like on a fish or I believe if there is rock in a tank that has ich, the ich can be transfered to another tank through the rock.

IMO Ick is like a cold, it's always present. It comes on with excessive stress or a compromised immune system. Feeding garlic will help boost the immune system.

Wrong. It is not always present. Parasites require hosts or they too will perish (repetitious today).

Water fluctuation IMO can be salinity swings from evap, ammonia spikes, other additives, ph, tempurature, and anything that doesn't stay stable enuf for the fish to do well. You may have been told about "water fluctuations" causing ick. Well, lack of stability in the water causes fish lots of stress sometimes. Stress causes lowered immune system. Lowered immune system causes illness.

... Lowered immune system causes illness.

Maybe I'm just being anal, and it's a semantics thing... but a lowered immune system does not "cause" illness. If an illness is present, a lowered immune system may allow it to take hold and make its presence known.

And in my opinion (and that's all it is), ich may be present all the time in the ocean, but it doesn't have to be present all the time in our tanks. With proper tank setup and quarantine procedures, the risk of introducing ich to a clean system can be very small.

Back
Top Bottom