what is wrong with my live sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elissaxo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my tank set up for around 3 weeks now and in some spots my live sand has an orangish brown color. It started appearing after I put my crab in there so I don't know if it's from him or not..and just a note I don't know what kind he is. Also, it has gone onto some of my live rock and the castle my clownfish likes to swim around in! what is it!!! help! thanks! :D

Likely diatoms. Is it like a powdery covering on the surfaces?

Next question is, did you cycle your tank? Diatoms are usually only seen in new, uncycled tanks. If not, please read up on The Nitrogen Cycle asap.

Do you have any pics? That would help greatly.

Welcome to AA!!!

Looks like diatom. Im assuming you're cycling your 3 weeks old tank. It is normal for diatom to appear at the end of your cycle. It will die off as your tank mature. No biggy

okk thanks!! =] i guess i'll get rid of them but they're so cute haha

d be more worried about the aiptasia they can spread quite quickly

I saw those as well. Nice tank! Does that castle have a hollow bottom?

Their tentacles have some kind of "stuff" (i sound like a noob XD but i don't remember what's it's called) that would irritate/sting/kill corals. They multiply very quickly so they can outnumber any coral

You might want to get a sand sifting Goby to turn that sand over and make it white again.

Back
Top Bottom