What is wrong with my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bianca90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I had a 40g and recently bought a 55g. I transferred everything, and I am having problems with my water.

I don't know if the water has to go through a cycle again?

My ph was low and I added ph up, now is 8.2
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrate is really high, between 40 ppm and 80 ppm
Nitrite is 0 ppm
And my water seems a bit cloudy.
I did a 10g water change yesterday.
I have a skimmer, and a canister filter which I completely cleaned and replaced pads and carbon yesterday.

I recently bought purple up and used it once.

I have a fox face (I know I will have to rehome him) he is not eating. He changes colors, but I have yet to see him eating.
I have a clown, a damsel, and a snowflake eel(she doesn't bother them), a chocolate chip star and sand shifting star. A bunch of crabs and snails. And a clam which stirs up my Sand to dig herself in.

I've tried feeding him brine shrimp, algae, and there are plants in my tank available for food.

My boyfriend put like 5 scoops of brine shrimp in about 2 weeks, did we overfed them?

How should we feed them?

Thank you for your help.

you prob did over feed them which is prob the cause for the higher nitrates.

did you resently swap tanks?

oh if it was te past day or two i was going to say the cloudyness could be from the sand.. are you running carbon in the system? it usually takes discoloration and smells out of the water.

the over feeding is probably why your nitrates are a bit high just do a few water changes to get it down to normal levels

keep doing water changes. make sure you mix the salt and water overnight with a power head and also make sure it's heated to the same temp as the tank.

Back
Top Bottom