What is your opinion of Julian Sprung??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
I only have a 45 reef and have only been at this game for 2 years. It is very well stocked with over 40 diff corals etc. I bought Corals a quick ref from Julian Sprung and have followed it without question. I take it with me to the store to be sure I buy only hardy breeds. Now heres my question.

In reading pass forums, I found an article on flower pots. Everyone said you cant get them to live past 6 months. Mine also shrunk and after a dip is now only the size of a quarter and does not extend like it should. The book says its a 7 on the scale ( I do not buy anything under a 6 ) for being hardy. I along with everyone else, have lost my fair share of corals a large open brain, bubble coral, green finger leather, flowerpot ( soon), just to name a few while other right next to them are growing and healthy.

Is there a better reference to what is hardy in a home reef and what conditions they like???

I have Sprung's books, and like them for quick reference/identification. Unfortunately, the books don't really contain *complete* care advice (simply not enough verbage for my liking).

Different tank setups will sustain different corals, and all offer different conditions/parameters - so IMO, it's pretty difficult to assing a *hardiness* rating to a coral without knowing what conditions it will be placed in.

For a more "complete" coral reference (IMO, the best coral reference book available [hobbyist-level]) - see "Aquarium Corals, Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History" - by Eric Borneman.

HTH!

I have to agree that enviroment plays such a big role in this area. Placing corals of diffrent regions in the same tank may not work for both. {reason I have so many tanks, I couldn't keep everything I wanted, had to change the enviroments of each tank to meet the needs of the corals in it.} Julians book is ok But I agree with RL, I have Both books and Eric's is my favorite. HTH

I suppose it also depends on your definition of "Flowerpot Coral". Alveopora and Goniopora are both labeled as such but alveopora is considered hardier (although still doesn't do great in aquaria IMO).

The difference in hardiness between the two in Sprung's opinion is described on the next page with most species of Gonipora being 2 or 3. Do you know what you have?

For the reasons stated above, most notably the amount of content, I prefer Eric's book too.

I like Sprungs books, I have corals and inverts, remember they are meant as "quick ref guides". Reef Aquariums vol 1&2 are indespensible to me. I also like Tullock and Fenner. JMO

What is your opinion of Julian Sprung??

LOL, last time I talked to him, I thought he was a jerk ;) Course that's been about 8 years ago, maybe he's chilled out some over the last few years...oh, you wanted to know about his books. LOL, I didn't really have anything to add to what the others said, but wanted to answer the question in the title ;)

I have books by Julian Sprung, Anthony Calfo, and Eric Borneman. My advice, and this has worked well for me so far, is to get as many different sources as you can and compare notes on them. If I need info about a certain coral, I'll look it up in every book I have and on the internet. I have to say though that Borneman's book is my favorite though.

Back
Top Bottom