Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2003, 10:06 PM   #1
ManderRN1

What kind of bulbs?

I have now learned that I will need to have a fluorescent fixture that holds 2 bulbs for my 30 gallon saltwater tank. I plan to start with fish, LR, snails, hermits, and some shrimp. Later I would like to try an anemone, feather dusters, and possibly (when my tank is mature) some corals.

I have heard that I should use 1 actinic bulb and 1 10,000k bulb in my fixture, but all the actinic bulbs I have looked at say they are meant to mimic twilight. So does this mean that I should have the 10,000k on during the day, then turn that off and have the actinic on for a little while before completely turning the lights out for the night? It's kind of confusing, because how can I have one bulb on & one off in the same light fixture? Help! I'm confused!
Old 08-22-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hmmm, this is actually a pretty common question, so don't feel bad. We all wonder about it at first.

Here is an example of what it means.

Actinic light comes on at 10:00am, daylight buld comes on at 11:00am daylight buld goes off at 9:00pm, actinic light goes off at 10:00pm.

So the actinic is on 12 hrs and the daylight is on 10

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:14 PM   #3
ManderRN1

So how would I do this if both bulbs are in a single fixture? Am I supposed to have them in 2 separate fixtures? Or do some fluorescent fixtures that house 2 bulbs have separate switches for each bulb?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
So how would I do this if both bulbs are in a single fixture?
You wouldn't. The bulbs would need seperate ballasts. A dawn and dusk effect is not necessary, just some people find it pleasing

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you have a ballast that can support two bulbs then both bulbs would come on/off at the same time.

I have one ballast on my 20 gal with two bulbs one actinic and one 10K. both come on/off at the same time. My other tanks have at least two ballasts so I can do the actinic first then day light then actinic off last.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com