What kind of lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pryzz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

Just wondering what type of lights I would need for my 180gal two foot deep tank? LED is sorta out of the question cos that **** is expensive in Australia. Tank isn't set up yet and I have a 6 foot t5 HO light with 4 three foot lights in it, if you get my drift. I would like to be able to keep sps and a nem. Should have mentioned that earlier.

Thanks.

Gonna need 3 250w metal halides then. T5's wont cut it and bulb replacement would be **** expensive considering you would need 16 3 foot bulbs which would easily run you over $360 annually.

Either way you go its a lot of money. Leds will save you and pay for themselves over time will low heat, power consumption and no bulb replacement.

Schism said:
Gonna need 3 250w metal halides then. T5's wont cut it and bulb replacement would be **** expensive considering you would need 16 3 foot bulbs which would easily run you over $360 annually.

Either way you go its a lot of money. Leds will save you and pay for themselves over time will low heat, power consumption and no bulb replacement.

T5's would work, I have the same tank with 20 3-foot bulbs, but I agree, bulb replacement is expensive as is the cost to run them. No matter what, your coming off some cash, now or later.
I would definitely try to swing the LED's.

Yes that many would work however besides price of bulb replacement you would be much happier with halides for an sps dominated tank in my opinion but either way.....$$$$

You would have the same issues with bulb replacement and energy consumption with Halides too though, and more heat to deal with.
I think your best bet, long term, would be LED's like Schism mentioned earlier. Cost a lot up front, but you would be in a better place down the road.
And like mentioned a couple times, lighting is going to be big money no matter what, for a tank that size!
Good luck whichever path you choose. :)

Bugger. Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what type? I've only seen LED lights in strips and small units that I'd need like 6 of. Also, a bloke at my lfs says that led aren't the right spectrum o light or whatever. Whether he's right or not I wouldn't know.

Pryzz said:
Bugger. Thanks guys. Any suggestions on what type? I've only seen LED lights in strips and small units that I'd need like 6 of. Also, a bloke at my lfs says that led aren't the right spectrum o light or whatever. Whether he's right or not I wouldn't know.

Thats totally false about the spectrum. Ive seen led tanks that blow away metal halides, and ive also seen metal halide blow away leds. It depends on the led setup, many diy kits give mixed results due to personal mixer or white blue and other colors. Many good fixtures today solve many of the initial spectrum problems of leds. And i have two suggestions for you each of these would require purchasing 3 fixtures.

The first is the Ecotech Radion. Expensive but loaded with the most features of nearly any leds and it has a proven track record so far by an outstanding manufacturer of marine products. Fixtures run about $750 each. Meaning about $2300 for lighting with tax and all probably. Expensive but worth it if you want full control and endless options.

The second is the new Kessil A350. At nearly half the price of the Radions but does not come with all the fancy features. Features include pinpoint lights source and dimmable features control of blues/white ratios. New fixture but has a proven predecessor model the A150. Also manufactered by a reputable company. Price tag is about $400 per fixture putting total at about $1200 or so.

Both would allow you to keep any coral, clam, or nem. Depends on the features you want and what your willing to pay for those features.

Ive seen both these lights in action and i really loved them. Im trying to decide between these 2 lights on my 180 build here sometime in the next year or so possibly.

Cool, thanks a lot. I've had a look at the radions, really loved them. But yeah they're expensive. So you think I'd only need the three fixtures?

Yes three is plenty. Each one easily covers a 2'x2' area. Anymore would be overkill.

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Tax time is coming up soon so I might use that to get whichever I choose.

Back
Top Bottom