Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-16-2003, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to plkdb Send a message via MSN to plkdb Send a message via Yahoo to plkdb
What kind of LR do most people prefer and why?

What type of rock to most people go with and why?

plkdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
The majority of my rock is aquacultured...why?? Just doing my part for the environment

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
I have mostly MI (Marshall Island) and Fiji. A couple small pieces of Tonga branch.

Why? .... Well, let's see. When we set up our old 75g in Jan of '99, Fiji was pretty much "it" for available, reasonably priced LR. I still like Fiji for it's coraline and amount of "life" on it.

When we set up the 180g, we added about 175lbs of Marshall Island to the existing 75lbs (or so) of Fiji. The MI doesn't have nearly the same amount of coraline or "life" on it, but it's worth buying for the shapes alone. It's also very porous and lightweight, and IMO, because of it's structure, is great for water flow.

My couple pieces of Tonga branch and a couple other who-knows-what-they-are pieces, are just cool individual pieces I've picked up over the years. A lot of is it interestingly-shaped base rock that eventually turned into LR.

I agree with RR re: the aquacultured rock. I've seen some gorgeous aquacultured LR. However, being the wimp that at am, and having dealt with several nasty hitchhikers in the past, I balk at the thought of the Mantis, crabs, etc. that hitch along with aquacultured LR. Not that you don't get nasty hitchhikers with other LR, it just seems to be more common with the aquacultured stuff.

JMO -- oh - one last thing. IMO, using a wide variety of LR types is not only eye pleasing, but promotes biodiversity in the tank.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a mix of fiji and Fla. aquacultured rock. I really like the aquacultured rock due to all the life it contains. I even received a green open brain coral on 1 of my rocks.

BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I got figi, but would love to have some Tonga
If you don't love what you do, you'd better find something else to love. Otherwise, you don't have a reason for living.
-Ray B.
d9hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I use mostly fiji, and a few pieces of kaelini. Its all that my LFS carries

kidafius is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com