Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
What kind of LR for beginner?

I am wanting to set up a FOWLR tank and eventually add some coral, after several months to a year. I hjave no idea what kind of live rock to get. Fiji seems popular and a local store sells it for 8 dollars a pound. They say it is actually very light rock, kind of like volcanic. I did notice however, that LR.com sells 40 pounds of keys LR for 200 bucks to your door! That seems quite a bit cheaper than 8 dollars a pound local....so Im asking whats the difference? Do I need to worry about what kind of LR i have in my tank? or are the differences mainly coloration? Can you mix them? Any ideas?

youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You can mix them. You'll see different types of life on the rock depending on where it came from. Filtraton wise its pretty much the same. Lower densisty rock will be more porous, but it won't be a huge difference in the way it works.

indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 07:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
lr.com rocks will come with much more life (critters and such) on it normally. I have ordered twice from them. I am preparing a third order since I was finally able to get the 125 I wanted.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Actually, lighter rock = greater porosity = larger surface area = much more filtration value. Plus you'll get more of it for the same weight of other denser rock. But it will likely be more expensive.

Being in the UK I don't have any experience with the keys rock from liverocks.com, and from what I've read it's extremely rich in life but much more dense than fiji rock. So I guess that's the trade off. Also, fiji rock is prettier

Personally, I'd go for a mixture to promote diversity.

You may also want to start with a DSB now to save the hassle of changing subtrates later.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com