Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

what kind of rock is base rock?

my question is what kind of rock is base rock, people say that they have fiji, or tonga, or branch, but what rock will actually work in a saltwater tank? will rock from a quarry work? if so what kind do i need to get. or does the rock that goes into the tank have to come from the ocean? thanks

Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

BR is rock that is dry and does not have the nitrifying bacteria that is needed to have your biological filtration. Live Rock or LR does have it on the rock and is very beneficial to your biological filtration cycle. LR will also have small critters like corals,shrimp and/or crabs living in it which will transfer to your tank after addition to your tank. BR cannot have these since it is dry and dead. But with an addition of LR and BR to your tank it will all become LR.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

100% agree to what mel has said.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Mel is right. Think of it this way. Base rock is what you see setting on the shelf on your LFS. I generally is white, but may have a little bit of color. Uncured LR should be in a separate tank, in your LFS, cycling. This will have more color to it but needs to be properly cycled. Cured LR, is what your LFS should have in the tanks with fish.
Base rock/uncured LR/LR can be fiji, or tonga, or branch (the first two are just the locations they gather the rock, branch is just dead branch coral).
To be honest, I wouldn't use quarry rock, you won't be able to tell what kinds of metals are in it. If you get a chunk with copper, lead or anything that may rust, you will not be able to have inverts (in the case of copper).
I will be ordering from this guy on Friday (I know, every one is tired of hearing that...LOL!). I'll be getting 150Lbs of base from marcorocks.com. I will pick up some LR from my LFS, so I can pick and choose.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
To be honest, I wouldn't use quarry rock, you won't be able to tell what kinds of metals are in it. If you get a chunk with copper, lead or anything that may rust, you will not be able to have inverts (in the case of copper)
I wouldn't use quarry rock, either. It may also have iron in it which may trigger nuisance algaes.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i dont believe quarry rock will work either. the reason you cant throw lava rock into a sw tank, and expect it to grow beneficial sw bacteria, is because it doesnt have the nutrients (mainly calcium) that base rock/LR posses.

so you cant throw in a peice of coal, and expect, because its porous, that it'll work

Tags
base, base rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com