Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of water

do you all use to cycle your new SW tank? Is it ok to use plain tab water , LR or must i use RO water so that it would be good for the corals?

Old 11-12-2004, 01:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

from what ive read, using RO water could help lessen the possibility or severity of algea outbreaks ....

Old 11-12-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Alot of that is according to how your tap water is locally.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Use RO water it will save you headaches in the long run.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it ok to use 50% tab water,and 50% SW from another already established tank to cycle my new 75 gal tank?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using someone else's water will not help, actually it may hurt if they have something in there water. beneficial Bacteria is grown on surfaces not suspended in the water. If they had cured LR that would help.
Using any tap water can hurt the system if your tap water is bad, contains nitrates, phosphates, heavy metals etc. IMO RO or RO/DI or Kold sterile water is the only way to go. All it takes is using bad water once to cause headaches

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What is the feeling on distilled water? I'm in an apartment and hubby is going crazy with the tanks. RO/DI doesn't seem like its an option right now, and the stocks at Kmart will be going sky high soon with us buying the distilled gallon jugs of water.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What is the feeling on distilled water?
I think it is ok. But overtime an RO unit may end up saving you money. I have heard of some distilled brands of water-I'm not sure which ones- that contain small amounts of ammonia. Be sure to test it before adding it to your tank.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:31 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree...distilled water is fine, but it will get expensive on anything larger than a nano size tank. I maintain a 180 reef at an eyecare center. It evaporates about 3.5 gal per day. I change about 40 gallons every two weeks. They also use about 2-3 gallons per day in their sterilizers. After comparing the cost of their RO/DI unit, filter changes for the first year, and the labor costs for me to install and maintain it against the cost of the distilled water they were buying, they saved about $200.00 the first year. Their savings for the second year would be in the $500.00 range making the RO unit a worthwhile investment. I really doubt you would use that much water, but if you consider it long term, an RO unit will save you money...not to mention the headaches involved with buying, transporting, and storing the distilled water. JMHO .
Old 11-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advise. We only have 3 tanks 20, 20, and 29 gallon and need wavemakers and such so I think we will stick to the distilled water for awhile.

Like to thank you for the heads up about checking for ammonia. The simplest things that we should be thinking about is so far away from our thoughts.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com