what macro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what macro is everyone using in thier fuge? i have chaeto ( brillo pad ) i wouldnt mind having a variety. something more leafy would be cool.

steve r

more leafy such as caulerpa? unless your fuge is lit 24/7, you risk it goin sexual. What exactly did you have in mind

right now i am lighting 24-7. i have seen a few macro packages on e-bay that look interesting. maybe a better question is which ones should i stay away from?

steve r

I light 24/7 and have mainly chaeto and broad leaf caulerpa. I can tell you to stay away from zoocircus on ebay. Can you find anyone local through the LFS to get you a good start?

I have had chaeto in my fuge for years. It does awesome. I trim it back to about baseball sized every 2 weeks. Within those 2 weeks it grows enough to fill a 15 gallon tank (I run skimmerless, so it has plenty of nutrients to absorb). Nitrates, phosphates are always undetectable and corals absolutely thrive.

Same as you, I recently wanted to add another macro to the fuge. I added a clump of fern and grape caulerpa. I wish I hadn't now. The chaeto growth has absolutely been stunted. The caulerpa seems to be outcompeting the chaeto..it grows through and on top of the chaeto and the chaeto doesn't look as green or healthy as it did. IMO, it would be best to stick with just the chaeto or go just with caulerpa. HTH

Not sure about where you guys live, but around here i recently tried to buy caulerpa and the guy said it became illegal and they werent even supposed to have it.

Califionia like that they get rid off the stuff thats Enviromental Hazards, But at the same time the stuff reefers are what needed. OH I know what what plant youre talking about the did a pbs special on it. A parently its talking over the ocean and the cant do anything about it except belch area that are infected by its nasty stuff.
But i heard it was the first plant to by used in SWA. Hmmm i actualy leand something from tv.

I have chaeto - it thrives even under plain old fluorescents and makes a tasty treat for my yellow tang.

Back
Top Bottom