What made you choose Saltwater over Freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

( 8 ) eiGhtBaLL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
G'day.

I'm a 17yr old student from Sydney, Australia, and I'm making a television aquarium for my final year major project in Design and Technology.

'Making the aquarium itself is fine and dandy, but what about the water?' I thought...

What are the pro's and con's of Saltwater over Freshwater?

I thank you for your time and effort in advance ....

- Jeremy. :)

Freshwater is very rewarding. Saltwater, to me, is more challenging. In freshwater, I planned, I designed, I achieved. In saltwater, I plan, I plan, I change the plan....you get the idea

I love the challenge. I love the huge diversity of life from worms to bugs to fish to coral to mushrooms etc. etc. I like finding new critters and life forms in my tank that I never knew existed. I like propogating my own corals and "making" my own LR by just allowing a bare rock sit in my tank for a while. I love all the mechanics and contraptions (ie. pumps, skimmers, sumps, hydrometers, tests, meters, etc.).
I love to tinker.

One day I would like to have a FW planted tank so I can experience that challenge. An African Cichlid tank sounds fun too.

So for a beginner still in school, not having much time for cleaning and testing, Freshwater is the way to go?

Due to the lighting and filtration of a SW system I would recommend a FW tank. If I were to design a TV tank, it would have a tilt up top (for feeding and maintenance) or a lift off top with a feeding hole. Are using a wood or plastic cabinet ?

Back
Top Bottom