What made you deside to get the size tank you have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lancer22386

Aquarium Advice Activist
What made you deside to get the size tank you have? i wanna hear stories how you ended up with the size tank you have and why. my storie is i started out with a 10gal nano fro the lfs, and i desided that it was to small then went with a 75gal, and my fish started to get to big, so i found a buddy that was selling his 120gal, so i got that, and about a month ago i wanted bigger, so yesterday i sold my 120g, and i found a 180gal ( thanks to CaptainAhab) in philly so i hopped in my truck and went, now im setting up a 180gal today, i will post pics of the build

Last edited:
I have three tangs so I wanted to get me a 6 ft tank so they would have plenty of swimming room. That`s why I have a 125 gallon tank.

I got the 90 so I dosing was easier (no more a half thred of this or that) and for the stability the added water volume adds.

i have my 10g because it was a present from my boyfriend! hope to have a bigger tank one day though.

I got a 180G because the powder blue tang in my 40G wasnt going to be happy. I added an orange shoulder tang and yellow tang which all are happy.

I went with my 55 gal tank because I already had it from my FW setup. Once I learn the ropes of maintaining my new reef tank, I plan to go up to 150-180 (wife allowing anyway lol).:)

I started with a 10G, found out my fish choice would NEVER fit in there, so I got a 75G. Then the 10 was just sitting empty so of course I had to fill it. Then had to rescue 2 bettas so another 10G. Then I had to get 2 more bettas, so another 5G. And then I got a new 20 tall for X-mas so transferred the 10g fish, and got some snails and endler's to go in the unused 10. :cool:

I got my 150g because i wanted another tank, my wife wanted less tanks, so we compromised and i got rid of four 55g's and got the 150g and kept a 55g as well. The main reason i went with a 150g instead of a 125 or 180 is because i found a good deal on craigslist that i just could not pass up. People were selling 55's for the same price this guy was offering the tank. I had also bought a filter from the guy not long before, so he cut me an even better deal and threw in a bunch of extras that i noticed and informed him he would no longer need with no tank :)

I started out with a 10 gallon tank with a single gold fish in it. I happened upon a LFS and saw their planted tanks which were awesome. My GF (now wife) encouraged me to get a bigger tank and develop it. We settled on a 56 gallon column. 4 years later, I am ready to upgrade, but the area of our condo is only 46 inches wide, thus limited my options.

We had a custom 120 priced out, but they wanted too much to build it, so we passed. Recently while considering changing the 56 gallon to reef for more excitement, we visited our LFS and saw the 93 gallon cube. Come to find out, they also had a 150 gallon cube that is 36" wide and will fit into our 46" area.

Its ordered, and I am patiently waiting. 150 gallon reef coming soon.

I was originally planning on getting a 29 gal at my lfs and stocking it with hatchet fish, guppies, fw shrimp, and snails but my husband kept asking me why I didn't get the 55 they had there instead. After doing some more research on stocking online I decided to go with the 55 and have some larger, slightly more aggressive species. I keep thinking about that 29 though so after we move, hopefully in the next month or two, I am going to try to set that up with some live plants also. Plus I am already planning a reef tank of some sort, either a 28 or 29 nano cube or a 75 gallon, just depends on what we can afford. This hobby sure is addicting! :cool:

I got my 75 gallon set up because it was free! Yea thats right totally FREE!!! Tank had been set up for five years that I know of. I have no idea how much live rock is there but its alot. It came with tank, stand, sump/refugium, lr, one yellow tang (that was barely hanging on) one hermit crab and who knows how many snails, test kits, chemicals, a five gallon bucket of salt etc... My gf looked at me a lil sideways when I told her about it, but now shes in love. lol cant wait to pick up my light today and get some corals in there. It was in such poor shape when i got it. I changed more than half of the water when i got it and the ammonia was still at a four. im so surprised anything lived in it. But now all my levels are great tank is clean have added about 6 more crabs and a couple starfish and a mushroom. ole yeller is happy and healthy, thanks to the advice and posts on this site. You guys have been great

I am just now in the process of setting up my first SW tank. I live in an apartment so I couldn't go to big, but wanted to go big enough to have a variety of fish, so I have my 55g long with a 20g sump. This should keep me going for a while, untill I move out of the apartment. Then maybe I will look at upgrading to something big & use my 55 as a sump :). Then I will add a refigium/deep sand bed/proper bubble trap/and all the other goodness!

My tank was supposed to be in my room, and my room isn't very big at all, so i had to get a smaller sized tank. I originally started out with a 55G.. but that was 4ft long and it took up so much space in my already small room. Once i got rid of that, i started planning on my next tank. Needed to make sure it was a decent size, that was still a good amount of water, but didn't take up much space in my room, or at least looked good in the spot that it was going to be in. Therefore i bought a 25G cube. It's in the corner of my room and hardly takes up any space and i put my soul in to this tank lol. I love this tank and it's going to be a sad sad day when i have to move within the next two years and i have to break it down and leave it behind. But that's alright... once i get my own apartment, i plan to get a nice sized tank, something like a 40 or 50G breeder and make it a peninsula tank. That's my dream. ;D

Started with a 90 gallon 4 years ago, slowly escalated to 90+30 frag tank, 90+30 frag and 55 gallon seahorse. Then i had to downsize for college to a Pico, but that was too small, so i took a break for a year, now im back with another college tank. Its going to be 12g with 20g sump.

peninsula tank is a stand alone tank that you can see all four sides. kinda like a peninsula you would see in a kitchen. they look very nice if you can hide all your plumbing and such.

but the reason why i chose a 38 gallon was becasue its all the boss (my wife) would let me get. she remembered how much money i spent on my 12g nano cube 5 years ago.

its a pretty funny story about how i even got the tank if anyone is interested..

Back
Top Bottom