What mechanical filtration do YOU use on a Reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLTGF

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering what everyone uses. I'm still looking at options to help clear up the "Snow" effect in my tank.

Depends on my tank but I use the following:
125g reef- I use filter socks
55g - I use a canister filter with biomedia, carbon and filter floss
20g cube- I use purigen, chemipure elite and a filter pad on top
20g rimless- regular old aquaclear 30 with sponge, carbon, biomedia and filter pads on top

Whats your setup like? How big is the tank? Do you have a sump or refugium or what?

Well, I know you go through millions of threads, but here's my stats:

54 bowfront corner, with a 15 gal sump.

I'm upgrading in to weeks to the Aqeon Proflex Sump Model 1, which will fit my stand, give me two filter socks, and also start my refugium with chaeto.

As it is right now, I'm just not sure where I could place filtration. The LR does okay in the sump, but I still have what looks like micro-dust flying everywhere - It's not terrible, but it could be better.

if you werent upgrading to the new sump with the filter socks I would suggest this for your sump
Complete 4" Sump Inlet Assembly, Filter Sock Holder by CPR Aquatics - AquaCave

Is it actual particles or is it micro bubbles? Like if you turn off your system do you have the floaties still? Also, if it's an iopen top you might be getting dust particles too.....

just some ideas...But I think the dual filter sock should get rid of the floaties in my opinion at least... lol

Well thanks for the advice and the link.

It's for sure particulates, and not bubbles - they are there when all is off.

Mostly they blow around an then stick and clump together on the sidewalls of the tank, makes it look fuzzy. Lol

I'll see what happens after the upgrade. I'm curious to see what people are using for their own as well.

Thanks Carey as always.

Oh, I have a 75% closed top with a small 12x12 inch opening, so that could be contributing.

I had no mechanical media in my reef. I kept all debris moving for the filter feeders to eat. I didn't want to trap it one place so it could rot and release nutrients just to require me to feed more, adding more nutrients. I had no issues with this method and the tank ran with no detectable nitrate or phosphate, chaeto wouldn't even do well in my fuge.

Thanks Fishguy - Did your tank look like a dusty room on a sunny day, or was it somewhat clear? Like I said above, mine isn't terrible, but the dust seems to cover everything including the LR and the sides of the aquarium, the PH's and anything else.

It was crystal clear. I would get a little debris settle here and there, but I would agitate it to keep the filter feeders fed (just like stirring a little sand form time to time is one of the best foods for them).

Back
Top Bottom