Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
There is no way you can do a 45g for $500.00.
i talked my girlfriend into a small tank for her bedroom. it was a 30 gallon cube style tank. she was into it $1500 before we added a single living thing.
we DIY'd what we could and bought some sub-standard ebay lights too...

Old 11-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I've have started my 75 gal " triggerfish" tank and without going super tricky ,so far I estimate I'm in it for around $1500-$1700 ,...I'd rather do things right from the start then try to undo things later,..take your time and enjoy the ride.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
...There is no way you can do a 45g for $500.00. ...
Totally agree with this - unless you find an absolutely killer deal on a bunch of used stuff. But even then, you will still easily lay down at least $1000 in the first year.

Like the others, I don't mean to scare you off - I have gotten far more enjoyment (and education!) out of this hobby than I even anticipated. But definitely go into this with your eyes open and put together a list of everything you'll need and put a $$ figure to it. You'll be amazed at how fast it adds up - and that doesn't even include livestock.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I never would have thought this much.. I think I am going to have to stick to freshwater aquariums. I think it would be very interesting just to watch my mini ocean but it's just too much.
I think I'll start a semi planted freshwater. And I can just watch grass grow.. Haha
Mini cubes are even expensive. I don't think it would too enjoyable. Just so limited.
Well I thank everyone who helped me. I learned alot. One day I'll start a SW tank
Old 11-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you can do a simple salt water fish tank. with or without live rock (i prefer with), and then graduate into a reef down the road. just make sure you pick all "reef safe" fish.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

A FOWLR (fish only with live rock) doesn't require much in the way of lighting, but you will need to keep to a weekly 10% or biweekly 20% partial water change. You can start with 75% base rock or more and add a few pieces of LR. The LIVE refers to being colonized by the beneficial bacteria. LR can also mean it has coralline algae on it and possibly some pods, or other life that will sprout out of it over time.

That should be good for about a year. Then you'll want to add some low light corals and that's when the money starts to kick in. Year two is when you have enough experience you start thinking about a sump/fuge; better lights, protein skimmer, etc.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Dave., don't give in so fast., just take your time and figure out just what you're actually going to need and buy things slowly, use ebay or whatever it takes to save a few bucks , talk to the folks at your LFS and see what you're actually going to "really" need and take it from there,.it's kinda like giving up smoking,..when you're really ready to do it then there's no stopping you,...for me this is something that I've wanted to get back into after a long absence, I had a large SW tank for ten years or more so I have a pretty good idea of what it takes and what I wanted to do differently,...it's just another challenge, but I think the rewrds are well worth it,...you might be able to do this on a budget if you plan it right, you have the tank and stand already so the rest is frugal shopping.....take your time ask a lot of questions , then ask them again and do it. Best of luck, Dary
Old 11-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Alright let's just say I were to go with a FOWLR or may be just a chunk of live rock and the rest just rocks, how much will this cost? All I would need is a wet/ dry filter or a DIY sump, Heater, Overflow box, return pump, some rocks, sand ( life or just reg sand?), and salt mixture. Correct? prob around 250ish right? If I have every thing right..
This is a very hard choice.. I don't want to spend any crazy money but the payoff is pretty spectacular

Edit:
Almost forgot lighting.. I will use my original lighting, if that possible
Old 11-13-2010, 01:40 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

It's gonna be close or just over. Depends on where you get everything.

Base rock
Fiji Live Rock

Aragonite sand - dry ~ $70

DIY sump ~ $70

Overflow box ~ $100

Return Pump Mag 7 ~ $100

Heater ~$35

Power Heads (2) ~$80

Salt 200 gallon !$45
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're looking for budget, you don't need a sump and related pump/plumbing. It's nice for the extra water volume, but it does add cost and complication.

If you don't want to go with a reef, then yeah... $500 is doable. If you keep your stock levels down, you can probably skip the protein skimmer so that will save you.

So for a sumpless budget 45g FOWLR, using your existing tank and lighting, you're looking at...

Substrate/sand
Rock (45 lbs of "base" rock, 20 lbs of "mature" rock with critters)
200W Heater (or 2x 100W heaters)
2x Powerheads for circulation
Thermometer
Algae cleaner magnet or scraper

Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH test kits
Refractometer
Quarantine tank/HOB filter/heater
Bucket of salt

Something to store salt water in between water changes
Powerhead and heater for the saltwater storage

Use of tap water can lead to algae issues down the road, so either buying a RO/DI water filtration unit, or buying RO/DI water somewhere is a good idea. But if that's not in the budget, just remember to factor in a good dechlorinator.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com