What Next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I added two small prawns to my saltwater tank the day it was set-up but have not yet added any live rock, I will be purchasing small pieces often. This is because the small pieces look the best lol and it means they will be easy to arrange/ fit into my tank how I want them to lol.

I would also like to ask something which may sound stupid. But here go's
When I had my puffers I would feed them these prawns that are currently in my saltwater tank. If there was ever uneaten food in my puffer tank for example these prawns they would of gone 'fluffy looking' over night etc ... where as these ones in my slat water tank have not seemed to change at all since being in the tank. Is this because there is no 'friendly bacteria' in my saltwater tank atm or is it just strange lol.

Btw I have not checked anything since setting my tank up what should I check for. As of yet I do not have a nitrate or ammonia test kit

Or I forgot to mention when can a little cute crab be added lol.

These prawns will go fluffy pretty soon...maybe the other tank was warmer, who knows, but nature will soon take its course.

Do not add any clean up crew until after the cycle has completed, they dont appreciate high amounts of ammonia and nitrite any more than the fish do.

BTW - The pufferfish were Tropical Not Saltwater that could be why lol.

I just did some little checks lol.

Temp: 79 Degrees
Specific Gravity: 1.025
P.H: 8.3
Nitrite: 0.3

Cycle has only been going for 5 days

I plan on adding some live rock soon. :)

most likely lr will have some die off so, imo, the lr will add to the cycle, so add as much as you can to help and ease cycling. plus its sooo good for filtering.

Well I added 5 pounds of live rock so far and there is allready 4 pounds of base rock in there. I will be adding some more in about a week or so but not much more. I dont think there will be much die off because the live rock was only transported for 5 mins lol.
When I got home I placed it in the tank straight away. I have been inspecting the tank to see if there is any life as such and I cant see any of these 'extras' :( However later after alot of inspection I found a crab travelling around the tank lol. WOOOOOOO its so cool.

Back
Top Bottom